The profile 'Protect my Internet connection', resp. 'Protect my WiFi', equals in in some respects the profile 'Surf Anonymously', but also detects automatically public and private WiFi networks by recognizing their SSIDs and activates autonomously its protection functions - which makes it the ideal companion for mobile devices such as Notebooks, Tablet PCs and Laptops. It is designed to deliver maximum protection at the highest speed possible.
To start the profile with it's default settings, click on the 'Protect my ...' tile and then either change some connection settings or connect right away by clicking on 'START INTERNET PROTECTION':
For WiFi connections the tile looks like that:
And the settings screen like this:
The following additional features are available for this profile, either activated or deactivated by default, but ready to be changed manually, if wanted:
- Block malicious websites: Extends your Internet security by detection and blockage of potential dangerous websites. A deactivation can raise surfing speeds.
- Block ads: Improves your Internet experience by filtering annoying ads. Web pages can be loaded faster and read better. Furthermore your online security profits a lot, since some malware got distributed by ad networks. Also on mobile data connections you safe on money (less transfer) and battery (less data to process).
- Block Online Tracking: Prevents monitoring, recording, and analyzing of your surfing behaviors. A deactivation can raise surfing speeds.
- Automated HTTPS redirect: Prefers encrypted HTTPS connections instead unencrypted HTTP connections to websites (if supported by the respective website).
- Data compression: Inside home networks the data compression feature is usually deactivated, for obvious reasons, but if on the road and dependent on mobile connections, one can save money on reducing the amount of data through compression.
- Extra Speed: Premium subscribers are entitled to use the fastest servers of the CyberGhost server pool. This setting can't be deactivated.
After changing options you can always undo any changes and restore the original settings by clicking on 'Reset to default'.
In contrast to the optional settings above, the following features are mandatory and always activated by default (whether shown in the connection window or not):
- No Logs: CyberGhost does not log any user behavior, any web targets, any communication, or any other activity that could compromise a user's identity.
- Military Grade Encryption: The VPN tunnel is encrypted with 256-bit AES, the same strength the US army uses.
- Hidden IP: The user's original IP address will be replaced by an IP address of the CyberGhost network. That way a user's identity stays safe and no visited website can be traced back to him/her.
- IP-Sharing: As an additional security layer each CyberGhost IP address will be shared with all other users, who take advantage of the respective server at the same time - while each user is strictly separated from each other, so no data could be cross-transfered.
- KillSwitch: The auto Internet KillSwitch blocks all Internet traffic, if the VPN connection drops unexpectedly - until the user gives his go or the VPN connection got re-established. Open programs can be closed in the meantime without any data leaks.
- LeakProtection: By default CyberGhost protects against IPv6 leaks, Port Forwarding leaks, and DNS leaks.
Only available for Wi-Fi networks
After successful detection of a new Wi-Fi network CyberGhost asks the user how to handle this specific Hotspot in the future:
- Always protect: CyberGhost immediately activates the 'Protect WiFi' profile with the last used settings and repeats this behavior automatically as soon as it recognizes the current network again. This setting can be changed in the program settings later on.
- Never protect: CyberGhost ignores the current WiFi now and in the future. This decision can be changed in the program settings later on. Other profiles or custom VPN connection can be initiated at any time.
- Protect once: CyberGhost immediately activates the 'Protect WiFi' profile with the last used settings, but just for this occasion. In the future the app will ask again, how to react to the current network, if it recognizes it again. This setting can be changed in the program settings.
- Cancel: The 'Protect WiFi' profile will not be started and no decision saved for later occasions. Other profiles or custom VPN connections can be initiated at any time.
Any Wifi once recognized can be found in the connection settings screen and the program settings. In both places you can adjust your initial settings:
- Always protect: CyberGhost activates the 'Protect WiFi' profile with the last used settings (and repeats this behavior automatically) as soon as it recognizes the displayed network again.
- Never protect: CyberGhost will always ignore the displayed WiFi. VPN connections have to be initiated manually then.
- Ask: CyberGhost will always ask, if it should activate the 'Protect WiFi' profile when entering the displayed network.
- Disconnect at known WiFi: An established VPN connection will be disconnected, when entering the displayed network.
After successful connecting to a VPN server you get the following 10 feedback info bits from the CyberGhost app (to display the next page with feedback info simply click on the resp. little arrow on the left or right side):
- Server: Displays the current server location (town)
- Country: Displays the current server location (country).
- Replacement IP: Displays the current IP address of the server chosen. This IP address replaces the original IP address.
- Time: Displays the length of the current VPN session.
- Malware blocked: Amount of malware elements being filtered and removed by CyberGhost.
- Ads blocked: Amount of advertising elements being filtered and removed by CyberGhost.
- Tracking blocked: Amount of tracking elements being filtered and removed by CyberGhost.
- Current download speed: Data speed at the time being.
- Download amount: Amount of data being transfered in the current VPN session.
- Maximum speed: Highest data speed in the current VPN session.
The status line beneath the the connection notification displays the list of activated features in the current VPN session.
To disconnect from the VPN network click on 'STOP PROTECTION'.