The profile 'Surf Anonymously' is designed for maximum protection features along with high performance servers. For this purpose, the most appropriate protection options are activated, while the internal server selection focuses on the currently most powerful one.
To start the profile with it's default settings, click on the 'Surf Anonymously' tile and then either change some connection settings or connect right away by clicking on 'START ANONYMOUS SURFING'.
The following additional features are available for this profile, either activated or deactivated by default, but ready to be changed manually, if wanted:
- Launch options: Depending on the settings here, CyberGhost starts your default browser either in normal mode or in incognito mode, or not at all.
- Choose country: Usually the server in use is chosen by the profile (with a priority to non-P2P-compatible servers outside your home country), but if you want to surf from your home or a certain different country, you can define it here. Note: ALL CyberGhost servers are run by the same high guidelines so that there are no less secure servers in different countries.
- Block malicious websites: Extends your Internet security by detection and blockage of potential dangerous websites. A deactivation can raise surfing speeds.
- Block ads: Improves your Internet experience by filtering annoying ads. Web pages can be loaded faster and read better. Furthermore your online security profits a lot, since malware often also got distributed by ad networks. On mobile data connections this feature can help saving money (less data to transfer) and battery (less data to process).
- Block Online Tracking: Prevents monitoring, recording, and analyzing of your surfing behaviors. A deactivation can raise surfing speeds.
- Automated HTTPS redirect: Prefers encrypted HTTPS connections instead unencrypted HTTP connections to websites (if supported by the respective website).
- Data compression: Inside home networks the data compression feature is usually deactivated, for obvious reasons, but if on the road and dependent on mobile connections, one can save money on reducing the amount of data through compression.
- Extra Speed: Subscribers are entitled to use the fastest servers of the CyberGhost server pool. This setting can't be deactivated.
After changing options you can always undo any changes and restore the original settings by clicking on 'Reset to default'.
In contrast to the optional settings above, the following features are mandatory and always activated by default (whether shown in the connection window or not):
- No Logs: CyberGhost does not log any user behavior, any web target, any communication, or any other activity that could compromise a user's identity.
- Military Grade Encryption: The VPN tunnel is encrypted with 256-bit AES, the same strength the US army uses.
- Hidden IP: The user's original IP address will be replaced by an IP address of the CyberGhost network. That way a user's identity stays safe and no visited website can be traced back to him/her.
- IP-Sharing: As an additional security layer each CyberGhost IP address will be shared with all other users, who take advantage of the respective server at the same time - while each user is strictly separated from each other, so no data could be cross-transfered.
- KillSwitch: The auto Internet KillSwitch blocks all Internet traffic, if the VPN connection drops unexpectedly - until the user gives his go or the VPN connection got re-established. Open programs can be closed in the meantime without any data leaks.
- LeakProtection: By default CyberGhost protects against IPv6 leaks, Port Forwarding leaks, and DNS leaks.
After successful connecting to a VPN server you get the following 10 feedback info bits from the CyberGhost app (to display the next page with feedback info simply click on the resp. little arrow on the left or right side):
- Server: Displays the current server location (town)
- Country: Displays the current server location (country).
- Replacement IP: Displays the current IP address of the server chosen. This IP address replaces the original IP address.
- Time: Displays the length of the current VPN session.
- Malware blocked: Amount of malware elements being filtered and removed by CyberGhost.
- Ads blocked: Amount of advertising elements being filtered and removed by CyberGhost.
- Tracking blocked: Amount of tracking elements being filtered and removed by CyberGhost.
- Current download speed: Data speed at the time being.
- Download amount: Amount of data being transfered in the current VPN session.
- Maximum speed: Highest data speed in the current VPN session.
The status line beneath the the connection notification displays the list of activated features in the current VPN session.
To disconnect from the VPN network click on 'STOP ANONYMOUS SURFING'.