CyberGhost automatically detects potentially unsafe Wi-Fi networks and immediately protects the user's device, basically by encryption of all Internet connection with 256-bit AES, the exchange of your IP address and the lack of data logs, which all together prevents from espionage and data theft of sensitive information such as passwords, PINs, email accounts, credit card numbers and others.
Additional available are an ad blocker for a better surfing experience (because the essential info of a page can be read unhindered), for more safety (because via ads transmitted malware is blocked), and for cost reduction (because less data is transmitted through your mobile data connection and less resources are used). The separate malware protection blocks websites with malicious code and the tracking blocker prevents your online behavior from being monitored and analyzed.
The moment you enter a private, free or password-protected Wi-Fi, CyberGhost recognizes, if it's a known or unknown network. If unknown, the app asks, if it should protect your device. If known, the device will be protected automatically, if you have configured the respective network to be handled that way.
The profile settings allow you to choose between certain actions regarding a certain network, e. g. if protection should never be activated, activated automatically or if you want to be asked again (1).
Also you can power off or on additional features to further improve your anonymity, your security and your surfing experience (2).
By tapping on the button 'Options' you can adapt certain settings to fine tune your 'Secure Wi-Fi Hotspot' profile, whereas the following functions are due to security reasons not to be deactivated:
- Military Grade Encryption: All connections will be secured by 256-bit AES, which can't be intruded from the outside.
- Hidden IP: Your original IP address will be replaced by an IP address from the CyberGhost network, so your identity can't be tracked down. At the same time the very same IP address will be shared with all other users on the respective server, thus extending your anonymity.
- No logs: CyberGhost is committed to its NO LOGS policy requiring the minimum user data to run the service.
- KillSwitch: The automatic Internet KillSwitch blocks all connections as soon as it detects an unexpected connection loss to the CyberGhost network.
- LeakProtection: CyberGhost protects against IPv6, Port Forwarding and DNS leaks.
The next bundle of features can be changed:
- Remove Advertising: Server side based ad filtering.
- Block Tracking: Blocks content that tracks your online activity.
- Virus Protection: A proactive, dynamic detection technology. It monitors processes’ behavior in real-time, as they are running, and tags suspicious activities.
|All functions are processed directly on the CyberGhost servers, before any data even get transmitted to your device, and therefor don't need any of its resources. To the contrary your device's battery will profit, since ad types such as videos and pictures don't have to be processed and displayed.|
Above the 'Protection Settings', in the tab 'Manage future behavior for this Wi-Fi' one can select from a range of future actions applied to the certain Wi-Fi such as:
- Always ask for protection: Every time your phone tries to connect to that particular Wi-Fi, CyberGhost asks you if you want to be protected. By tapping the push notification, a secure connection is established.
- Always protect automatically: Every time your phone connects to that Wi-Fi, CyberGhost automatically starts a VPN connection.
- Disable protection: If you already have a VPN connection on and you reach a Wi-Fi with this option enabled, CyberGhost will disable the VPN connection.
- Ignore: By choosing this option, CyberGhost will ignore new connections made on this Wi-Fi.
Once the profile is enabled, the interface will inform users about the successful protection and a counter will track the:
- Number of Ads blocked
- Malicious content
- Tracking attempts blocked
The statistics with blocked ads, blocked malicious content and tracking attempts are displayed and updated with any new connection.