CyberGhost owns an extensive server pool throughout many countries in West and East Europe, the USA, South America, Asia and Australia. A user may log in per default automatically on a server in one of the available countries, but can also choose his or her favorite location manually, either partly automatically by defining a country or completely by defining a single server.
Depending on your subscription (regular, promotion, special plans) not all locations might be available. Also the server selection feature is just available for subscribers.
To manually choose a server first click on the tile 'Choose my VPN server' to open the complete server list (sorted by countries).
There you make your choice for either a country or a single server inside a country.
If you want to log in from a different country, e.g. to access blocked content, just mark the respective country inside the server list and click on 'Connect'. CyberGhost chooses the single server in that country automatically.
Note: The automatic choice of servers bases on an internal load balancing and considers speed as well as additional anonymity grades.
If you want to connect to a certain single server in a certain country, first click on the little arrow on the left side of each country entry to open that location's list of single servers. Then mark one of them and click on 'Connect'.
The menu bar allows to filter the list of servers in respect to certain attributes:
- All servers: Shows all available and working servers.
- Most empty: Shows only servers that are not much frequented at the current time. Servers with few users can be faster, while servers with many users provide a higher additional anonymity level (since they all share one IP address).
- Most crowded: Shows only servers that are highly frequented at the current time. Servers with many users can be slower, but provide a higher additional anonymity level (since all users share one IP address).
- Fastest servers: Shows only the fastest servers at the current time.
- NoSpy server: Shows only servers of CyberGhost's own data center. These servers are directly monitored by CyberGhost, but need a special subscription to be available.
- Torrent: Shows only P2P compatible servers.
- Search for server/country: Allows a quick search for certain countries and/or single servers.
The columns provide additional information to a server, allowing a better estimation of a certain server's current attributes:
- Server name (1): A server's indication in the form of 'Town-SXX-IXX', e.g. 'NewYork-S03-I06', whereas the following details are part of the label. SXX: Server number XX - this is the physical machine, hosting a different number of virtual servers (see below 'Instance number'). IXX: Instance number XX - Every host system has multiple network cards and IP addresses, so one can easily set up multiple virtual servers, each consistent of its own operating system and thoroughly separated from the other virtual servers. Memory, CPU, network card, file system etc. will not be shared among virtual servers. Every virtual server has its own entry in the server list and its own IP address. The concentration in groups of dedicated systems takes place for resource reasons and the shielding of all single systems.
- User Load (2): Shows the current load on a server, caused by the amount of people using that server (in percent). A high value equals a strong frequented server, which might be slower, but provides a higher additional anonymity level (since all users share one IP address). A low level equals a faster server.
- Torrent (3): A check mark claims the respective server as P2P compatible.
- Ping (4): The ping value illustrates the time a server needs to answer a request. The lower the ping, the faster the server can be addressed. Note: The ping value doesn't correspond to the server speed, which can be very high, even though the ping is also high. It's a value interesting for online gamers, who need delay-free connections.
- */Favorites (5): If you want to add a server to your personal list, just click on the dark star in this column. You find your favorites on top of the server list, above all countries.
In case you want to activate or deactivate additional functions for your custom connection, click in the menu on the entry 'Settings' and adjust the available features:
These Extra Features can extend your security and speed additionally:
- Block malicious websites: Extends your Internet security by detection and blockage of potential dangerous websites. A deactivation can raise surfing speeds.
- Block ads: Improves your Internet experience by filtering annoying ads. Web pages can be loaded faster and read better. Furthermore your online security profits a lot, since some malware got distributed by ad networks. Also on mobile data connections you safe on money (less transfer) and battery (less data to process).
- Block Online Tracking: Prevents monitoring, recording, and analyzing of your surfing behaviors. A deactivation can raise surfing speeds.
- Data compression: Inside home networks the data compression feature is usually deactivated, for obvious reasons, but if on the road and dependent on mobile connections, one can save money on reducing the amount of data through compression.
- Automated HTTPS redirect: Prefers encrypted HTTPS connections instead unencrypted HTTP connections to websites (if supported by the respective website).
After successful connecting to a VPN server you get the following 10 feedback info bits from the CyberGhost app (to display the next page with feedback info simply click on the resp. little arrow on the left or right side):
- Server: Displays the current server location (town)
- Country: Displays the current server location (country).
- Replacement IP: Displays the current IP address of the server chosen. This IP address replaces the original IP address.
- Time: Displays the length of the current VPN session.
- Malware blocked: Amount of malware elements being filtered and removed by CyberGhost.
- Ads blocked: Amount of advertising elements being filtered and removed by CyberGhost.
- Tracking blocked: Amount of tracking elements being filtered and removed by CyberGhost.
- Current download speed: Data speed at the time being.
- Download amount: Amount of data being transfered in the current VPN session.
- Maximum speed: Highest data speed in the current VPN session.
The status line beneath the the connection notification displays the list of activated features in the current VPN session.
To disconnect from the VPN network click on 'STOP CUSTOM CONNECTION'.
If you start the custom profile directly via the quick start menu in the system tray it uses the last valid settings.