To open the program settings, please click on the bar symbol on the upper left of the main window and choose the menu entry 'settings'.
The general program settings are used to determine the basic behavior of the application during program and system startup.
- Automatically start during system startup: Activates CyberGhost VPN automatically when the operating system starts. Note: The start of the program is NOT synonymous of being anonymized. Therefore you need also to activate the second option also (see below).
- Establish connection after startup: Connects to the server specified in the CyberGhost program. If both settings for 'Simulated Country' and 'Simulated IP Address' are set to 'Automatic' CyberGhost will decide which server and country to use (usually the nearest one with the best performance).
- Start minimized: Starts with CyberGhost in the background.
- Open browser after a connection ...: Opens your default web browser right after you are connected to an anonymization server.
- Install Beta Updates: Installs automatically a beta version of CyberGhost as soon as one is available.
|Note: Beta versions can provoke connection losses and/or hangers or might contain advertisements, even when you run a Premium subscription (to test banners, etc.). Please don't activate this option, if you want a stable and/or an ad free system.|
The tab 'My Account' contains information about your CyberGhost account.
- User name: Your CyberGhost account or user name, at first start an anonymous, interim one. When purchasing a subscription or if wanted, you can change this user name at any time in your online account management.
- Your plan: Status of your current plan.
- Smartphone & tablet protection: Depending on your subscription you can use up to 5 devices with different CyberGhost clients or with native protocols such as OpenVPN, L2TP, IPSec, and PPTP.
- Valid until: The remaining runtime of your subscription.
The Internet addresses that you enter here are controlled directly, and not via an anonymization server. You can transfer mail servers to the list as well as security servers (e.g. for your online banking) or FTP servers.
To avoid the misuse of the CyberGhost VPN service for Spam mails, all outgoing email transfer is blocked by default, which means you can't send mails while being connected to a CyberGhost anonymization server.
If you want to send emails while being anonymized, please put your email server on this list. Web mailers don't need exceptions.
To add an address, enter its URL or (if known) the permanent IP address in the top input field ('Add Host/IP'). Then click on the 'Add exception' button. Alternatively you can let CyberGhost try to detect your email settings. For that click on 'Auto-detect email settings'.
Please note, for this is very important: Connections to servers included in this list will NOT being established via CyberGhost VPN and therefore are NOT anonymized. Furthermore you need to restart the program for the added addresses to become valid.
The tab 'Connection' is home of some important technical details:
- Force using CyberGhost DNS servers: Activated, this option forces your system to use the CyberGhost DNS servers instead those of your Internet provider. DNS server take care of the correct access to an address. For example, if you enter 'www.cyberghostvpn.com' in your browser, he sends your wish to a DNS server which translates the address into numbers (actually 4 blocks of numbers as XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX). Only then the connection can be established. This also means that a DNS server has complete control over the accessibility of each web address and therefore is the perfect tool for censors. When using the CyberGhost DNS servers you avoid this kind of manipulation.
- Prefer TCP instead of UDP connections: By default CyberGhost uses for its connections UDP, which allows higher speed due to its less restrictive data checking procedures. The downside: Downloads can be suddenly interrupted or corrupted and packages can get lost e.g. when playing online games. Then again TCP stands for more stable connections - but for the price of a lower speed due to more precise data checking. Please activate this option, if your Internet connection suffers from unstable traffic. Also this option comes in handy, if a provider blocks or slows down UDP connections.
- Use random port to connect: This option allows CyberGhost to establish its connections through a randomly chosen port (which will be changed with each new connection), instead of a fixed port that makes it easy for providers to slow down or block CyberGhost connections. The used port range can be changed anytime if needed. All ports are secured internally by Firewall rules.