Please note the following requirements:
- Router with alternative TomatoUSB Merlin Build firmware and support of OpenVPN. Older versions need to be updated.
Info: Official Tomato website
- A CyberGhost account
Info: Here's how to create a CyberGhost account online
Info: How to manage your CyberGhost account
- A CyberGhost subscription
Info: How to purchase or upgrade a subscription
Info (only prepaid subscribers): Enter activation key
Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that, although the technical process is as thoroughly documented as possible, you need to have at least some technical understanding. There's always a chance for an overseen mistake and/or things have changed and the article is not updated yet.
Some general notes on routers :
- Routers are usually not equipped with state of the art hardware, meaning you will have speed losses when using a VPN connection (due to low CPU power to process encryption). Direct connections from your PC, Laptop, Tablet, etc. to the VPN network (without the router providing the VPN software) will work better for you if speed is among your favorite desires.
- If your flashed router doesn't provide DSL functionality, your Internet connection will still need to be managed by your DSL modem. In that case, your device pool will hook on your router (via cable or wireless) and the router itself will be hooked to your DSL modem. So don’t forget to configure your WLAN devices to connect to the new router, so they won’t log in to the old WLAN. Alternatively, you can deactivate your modem’s WLAN completely (only if you don’t need it for unencrypted traffic).
- If you flash your router with an alternative firmware you might lose your device’s guarantee; please consult your dealers’ policies regarding this matter. Furthermore, it might happen that the flash process leaves your device unusable, e.g. after a power failure while flashing. CyberGhost is not to be held responsible for any damages, does not acknowledge any liabilities, and will not adopt your manufacturer’s warranty.
- Also please note that not all routers with VPN client support will be able to connect to the CyberGhost network or might lose that ability with future firmware updates.
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account and login with your Premium Username and Password
- Expand the account options and select VPN
- Go to Manual setup and select Configure New Device
Now create your server configuration, as described below :
- Protocol : OpenVPN
- Country : Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group : Choose the server group and the OpenVPN protocol (UDP or TCP) you want to use
OpenVPN UDP allows higher speed than the TCP version but can result in broken downloads in some cases. This is the default setting.
OpenVPN TCP allows more stable connections than the UDP version but is a bit slower. Choose this version, if you have recurrent connection issues such as sudden disconnections.
Once the desired parameters are chosen, save them with « Save Configuration »
To view the OpenVPN credentials that are generated for you on the configuration dashboard, press View Configuration.
After setting up your connection preferences, please take note of the following:
- Server Group : This is the address of the country (server) you want to be connected with, e.g. '12345-1-ca.cg-dialup.net'. This address changes with every country you have chosen in the step before. The actual single server to be used will be chosen automatically by CyberGhost.
- Username : A solely for this protocol generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name, it's used only to authenticate with our servers via Manual Configurations.
- Password : A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account password, it's used only to authenticate with our servers via Manual Configurations.
- Pre-Shared Key
Once done, please download the configuration file. For that click on « Download Configuration » and download the config file to your computer (it's recommended that you create a special folder for the config, somewhere accessible like your Desktop and Extract/Copy the contents of the .zip file there.
- Protocol : OpenVPN
Important : please keep your username and password obtained during the configuration process at hand, you will need them later in the setup.
Now, the saved config is a ZIP file, which contains the following single files:
- ca.crt: This is the certificate of the certification authority
- client.crt: This is the user certification file
- client.key: This is your private key file
- openvpn.ovpn: This is your OpenVPN configuration file
If you need to change the country you connect to, you must re-configure the location to use in your account management and download the new zipped config file.
Open your TomatoUSB (Merlin Build) router’s configuration page and click on the left side in the area ‚Advanced Settings‘ on ‚VPN Server‘ and after that in the upper menu on ‚OpenVPN Client Settings‘
Activate under ‚Select client Instance‘ the entry ‚Client 1‘, check the following options and change those which show different:
Start with WAN: No
Interface Type: TUN
Protocol: UDP or TCP (depending on what type you decided to use in step 1)
Server Address and Port: Server Group Address: 1234-5-ro.cg-dialup.net / Port: 443 (Step 1)
Authorization Mode: TLS
Username/Password Authentication: Yes
Username: The user name created in step 1. DO NOT use your regular user name!
Password: The password created in step 1. DO NOT use your regular password!
Username Authentication only: No
Extra HMAC authorization: Disabled
Create NAT on tunnel: Yes
After activating the tab Advanced Settings please check the following options:
Poll Interval: 0 (means deactivated)
Redirect Internet traffic: Yes
Accept DNS configuration: Relaxed
Encryption cypher: AES-256-CBC
TLS Renegotiation Time: -1
Connection retry: 30
Verify server certificate: No
Custom Configuration: Here you mark all existing lines, delete them and exchange them with some parts of your downloaded 'openvpn.ovpn' configuration file: For that, open the OpenVPN file with a simple text editor, mark the text beginning with :
'resolve-retry infinite' and ending with 'verb 4' (including both lines), copy the text with 'Ctrl-C', and insert it here with 'Ctrl-V'.
It should look like this:
#Note : < explicit-exit-notify 2 > Some routers don't understand this command. In cases of doubt or if the configuration doesn't work, please remove this entry.]
Please don’t simply copy this example for a server configuration might change after publishing this article.
Now switch to the tab OpenVPNKeys There you find four fields, whereas three of them have to be filled with the corresponding content of the other three files you downloaded from your CyberGhost account management. For that you also open the respective file with a simple editor and copy the respective text passages:
- Certificate Authority: Copy all text of the file 'ca.crt' in here.
- Client Certificate: Copy all text of the file 'client.crt' in here.
- Client Key: Copy all text of the file 'client.key' in here.
At last click on Apply to save your configuration.
For any additional information or concerns - it is best to approach the Support Department:
via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
via on-line request: https://support.cyberghostvpn.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
via 24/7 Live! Chat Sessions on our website