You can anonymize your Synology NAS Internet traffic with PPTP and your CyberGhost subscription, if the following preconditions are met:
|Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that, although the technical process is as thoroughly documented as possible, you need to have at least some technical understanding. There's always a chance for an overseen mistake and/or things have changed and the article is not updated yet.|
Important note: Please make sure that you run an IPv4 Internet connection. Some Internet Service Providers already connect with the IPv6 protocol, which is not supported by CyberGhost. While the CyberGhost client takes care of deactivating IPv6 under Windows, users of native protocols have to do this manually. If IPv6 is not deactivated, data might leak outside the IPv4 VPN tunnel!
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account.
Click on the menu entry 'My Devices' and then on button 'Add Device'.
In the list of Operating Systems you can CyberGhost use with, please click on 'Other' to be able to setup all necessary options for the PPTP protocol. When done the screen extends and gives way to 'Create new credentials'. Do it by clicking on the respective button.
Scroll up the page. As you see, the placeholder for a new device is now replaced by 'Linux, Router, etc.'. Click on that button:
Type a name for your new device and activate the wanted extra features, provided with each Premium subscription. These features can be (de)activated later on as well.
Scroll down and generate the login and configuration data for the PPTP protocol. FYI: The Point To Point Tunneling Protocol is widely available and uses PAP/CHAP for authentication, but because of possible implementation deficits in key management it can't be considered completely safe anymore and should only be used, if none of the alternatives OpenVPN or L2TP is available.
- Protocol: Choose the PPTP protocol.
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Depending on the chosen country as well as the availability of different server types as an attribute of your current plan you can also define a server group to use:
- Standard Server: This is the group of all paid service servers (Special Edition, Premium, Premium Plus)
- Premium Server: This is the smaller group of all exclusive servers for Premium subscribers (Premium, Premium Plus)
- NoSpy Server: This is the group of all exclusive NoSpy servers for Premium subscribers with special extensions.
After setting up your connection wishes please note down the following data sets. You will need them to configure your device:
- Server: This is the server address of the country you want to surf from, e.g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'. The address includes encrypted information about your plan, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost. If you want to connect to different locations, you need to adjust the target destination according to a different country and note down that 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... address as well.
- User name: A solely for protocol usage generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name.
- Password: A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account password.
Log in to your Synology DiskStation with administration rights and open your device's 'Control Panel'. In the area 'Application Settings‘ open the entry 'VPN‘.
Click 'Create VPN' and choose the PPTP protocol. Click on 'Next'.
Enter your CyberGhost configuration data for a PPTP connection:
- Profile name: Descriptive name of your connection, e. g. 'CG_US_Default'
- Server address: Address of the server to be used, e. g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'
- User name: The user name created in step 1, this is NOT your regular CyberGhost user name!
- Password: Enter the password also created for you in your account settings, this is NOT your regular CyberGhost password
Klicke auf 'Next'.
Take care of the VPN settings in the 'Advanced Settings' window:
- Authentication: Choose 'MS CHAP v2'
- Encryption: Activate 'Require MPPE (40/128 Bit)'
- Use default gateway on remote network: Activate (if it troubles you, try deactivation)
- Allow other network devices to connect through this Synology server's Internet connection: Deactivate
- Reconnect when the VPN connection is lost: Activate
Click on 'Apply'.
Now connect to the VPN server. Click left on the new VPN connection and after that on the right side on 'Connect'.