Please note the following requirements:
- Synology NAS
- Most recent version of the DiskStation Manager (DSM)
- A CyberGhost account
Info: Here's how to create a CyberGhost account online
Info: How to manage your CyberGhost account
- A CyberGhost subscription
Info: How to purchase or upgrade a subscription
Info (only prepaid subscribers): Enter activation key
Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that, although the technical process is as thoroughly documented as possible, you need to have at least some technical understanding. There's always a chance for an overseen mistake and/or things have changed and the article is not updated yet.
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account and login with your Premium Username and Password
Click on 'My Devices' and in the 'Add a new device' section > click 'Others'.
At the new screen, in the 'Server configuration' tab, the desired parameters can be configured. For the purpose of setting PPTP for your Synology NAS, choose 'PPTP' from the Protocol drop down menu. Your desired country and server group, as described below, need to be defined too:
Also type in a Device name to assign to your device, then configure the parameters for the new device.
- Protocol: For Synology NAS configurations, please choose PPTP
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Choose the server group and the OpenVPN protocol (UDP or TCP) you want to use:
UDP allows higher speed than the TCP version, but can result in broken downloads in some cases. This is the default setting.
TCP allows more stable connections than the UDP version, but is a bit slower. Choose this version, if you have recurrent connection issues such as sudden disconnections.
After setting up your preferred settings, save them with 'Save and download configuration'.
Access the configuration data for the PPTP protocol. FYI: The Point To Point Tunneling Protocol is widely available and uses PAP/CHAP for authentication, but because of possible implementation deficits in key management it can't be considered completely safe anymore and should only be used, if none of the alternatives OpenVPN or L2TP is available.
To view the PPTP credentials that are generated for you on the configuration dashboard, press View Configuration.
Once the new page is opened, your connection credentials are generated for you but make note of the following information, you will need them to configure your device.
Please note down the following data sets:
- Server group: This is the server address of the country you want to surf from, e.g. '1234-ro.cg-dialup.net'. The address includes encrypted information about your plan, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost. If you want to connect to different locations, you need to adjust the target destination according to a different country and note down that 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... address as well.
- User name: A solely for protocol usage generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name.
- Password: A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account password.
- Pre-shared key
Please see the credentials that are downloaded for you once you press 'Download configuration'.
Log in to your Synology DiskStation with administration rights and open your device's 'Control Panel'. In the area 'Application Settings‘ open the entry 'VPN‘.
Click 'Create VPN' and choose the PPTP protocol. Click on 'Next'.
Enter your CyberGhost configuration data for a PPTP connection:
- Profile name: Descriptive name of your connection, e. g. 'CG_US_Default'
- Server address: Address of the server to be used, e. g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'
- User name: The user name created in step 1, this is NOT your regular CyberGhost user name!
- Password: Enter the password also created for you in your account settings, this is NOT your regular CyberGhost password
Klicke auf 'Next'.
Take care of the VPN settings in the 'Advanced Settings' window:
- Authentication: Choose 'MS CHAP v2'
- Encryption: Activate 'Require MPPE (40/128 Bit)'
- Use default gateway on remote network: Activate (if it troubles you, try deactivation)
- Allow other network devices to connect through this Synology server's Internet connection: Deactivate
- Reconnect when the VPN connection is lost: Activate
Click on 'Apply'.
Now connect to the VPN server. Click left on the new VPN connection and after that on the right side on 'Connect'.