To check whether your network adapter is functional and/or the protocols are installed correctly, do a ping test as follows:
- Click on 'Start' and type in the search box 'cmd'.
- Double click on the search result
- Under Windows 8 open an Explorer window, click on 'File > Open a command prompt > Command prompt'
- Type in 'ipconfig', look out for the name of your network adapter and note its IP address
- Type in 'ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' - where xxx ... is the IP address of your network adapter you noted before, e.g. 'ping 192.168.178.036'
Your adapter should be found and connected to. If it were not, your hardware might be be defect or the protocols haven't been installed correctly.