Please make sure the following requirements are met:
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account and login with your Premium Username and Password
Click on 'My Devices' and in the 'Add a new device' section > click 'Others'.
At the following screens, click "Create login credentials" > CREATE
In the Settings tab, type in a name for your device, then switch to the Configuration tab.
In the Configuration tab, choose your desired Extra Features, the L2TP protocol and your desired country and server group, as exemplified below:
After setting up your connection wishes please note down the following data sets. You will need them to configure your device:
- Server: This is the server address of the country you want to surf from, e.g. '6-1-ro.cg-dialup.net'. The address includes encrypted information about your plan, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost. If you want to connect to different locations, you need to adjust the target destination according to a different country and note down that 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... address as well.
- User name: A solely for protocol usage generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name.
- Password: A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account password.
- Pre shared secret: For L2TP connections you also need this additional password.
Create a VPN connection on your Windows PC. For that open the Start Menu, click on 'Settings' and then on 'Network & Internet' ...
Click on 'VPN' and then 'Add a VPN Connection'.
Enter the following configuration details:
- VPN provider: Windows (built-in)
- Connection name: Type a name for your new connection. If you plan to create more connections to different locations make sure, you label each connection thoroughly by adding the country name, eventually the server group and maybe even the protocol, so you can tell one from another, e. g. 'CyberGhost L2TP'.
- Server name or address: Add the server address you want to connect to, e.g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'.
- VPN type: Choose 'Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPSec (L2TP/IPSec)'.
- Pre-shared key: Enter the Pre-shared key generated at the device config in step 1 (usually 'CyberGhost')
- Type of sign-in info: Choose 'User name and password'.
- User name: Please enter the user name created in step 1. DO NOT use your regular CyberGhost user name.
- Password: Please enter the password generated in step 1. DO NOT use your regular CyberGhost password.
Here's an example of a fully configured L2TP connection:
A native protocol connection addresses just one single server. If you want to surf from different locations, aka use different servers in different countries, you need to set up as many connections as locations you want (which means you have to do all steps again for each single country). If you want to be able to connect to five different countries, for example, you need to set up five different connections, from which you can choose later on.
Click on 'Save'.
Back in your VPN list window scroll down a bit to 'Related Settings' and click on 'Change adapter options'.
Right click on your connection and choose the entry 'Properties'.
Switch to the 'Security' tab and set the following two options:
1. Data encryption: Change it to "Maximum strength encryption (disconnect if server declines) - this equals that AES-256bit encryption will be in effect.
2. Check the "Allow these protocols" option.
Click 'OK' .
Close the adapter window and back in your VPN list click on the "Connect" button of the connection you just created.
Alternatively click on the network icon in your System Tray and start a VPN connection from there.
Once the connection is established, your IP is changed to that of the VPN server and all of your traffic is encrypted!