Important note: Please make sure that you run an IPv4 Internet connection. Some Internet Service Providers already connect with the IPv6 protocol, which is not supported by CyberGhost. While the CyberGhost client takes care of deactivating IPv6 under Windows, users of native protocols have to do this manually. If IPv6 is not deactivated, data might leak outside the IPv4 VPN tunnel!
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account.
Click on the menu entry 'My Devices' and then on button 'Add Device'.
In the list of Operating Systems you can CyberGhost use with, please click on 'Other' to be able to setup all necessary options for the L2TP protocol. When done the screen extends and gives way to 'Create new credentials'. Do it by clicking on the respective button.
Scroll up the page. As you see, the placeholder for a new device is now replaced by 'Linux, Router, etc.'. Click on that button:
Type a name for your new device and activate the wanted extra features, provided with each Premium subscription. These features can be (de)activated later on as well.
Scroll down and generate the login and configuration data for the L2TP protocol. FYI: The Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) allows operations of multiple tunnels and can be considered as very safe. For authentication it uses PAP/CHAP, but it lacks its own encryption, which is why CyberGhost uses L2TP in connection with the encryption technology IPSec as 'L2TP/IPSec'
- Protocol: Choose the L2TP protocol.
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Depending on the chosen country as well as the availability of different server types as an attribute of your current plan you can also define a server group to use:
- Standard Server: This is the group of all paid service servers (Special Edition, Premium, Premium Plus)
- Premium Server: This is the smaller group of all exclusive servers for Premium subscribers (Premium, Premium Plus)
- NoSpy Server: This is the group of all exclusive NoSpy servers for Premium subscribers with special extensions.
After setting up your connection wishes please note down the following data sets. You will need them to configure your device:
- Server: This is the server address of the country you want to surf from, e.g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'. The address includes encrypted information about your plan, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost. If you want to connect to different locations, you need to adjust the target destination according to a different country and note down that 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... address as well.
- User name: A solely for protocol usage generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name.
- Password: A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account password.
- Pre shared secret: For L2TP connections you also need this additional password.
Create a VPN connection on your Windows PC. For that open the Start Menu, click on 'Settings' and then on 'Network & Internet' ...
Activate the menu entry 'VPN' and then 'Add a VPN Connection'.
Enter the following configuration details:
- VPN provider: Windows (built-in)
- Connection name: Type a name for your new connection. If you plan to create more connections to different locations make sure, you label each connection thoroughly by adding the country name, eventually the server group and maybe even the protocol, so you can tell one from another, e. g. 'CG RO Premium L2TP'.
- Server name or address: Add the server address you want to connect to, e.g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'.
- VPN type: Choose 'Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPSec (L2TP/IPSec)'.
- Type of sign-in info: Choose 'User name and password'.
- User name: Here goes the user name created in step 1. DO NOT use your regular CyberGhost user name.
- Password: Here goes the password generated in step 1. DO NOT use your regular CyberGhost password.
|A native protocol connection addresses just one single server. If you want to surf from different locations, aka use different servers in different countries, you need to set up as many connections as locations you want (which means you have to do all steps again for each single country). If you want to be able to connect to five different countries, for example, you need to set up five different connections, from which you can choose later on.
Click on 'Save'.
Back in your VPN list window scroll down a bit to 'Related Settings' and click on 'Change adapter options'.
Right click on your connection and choose the entry 'Properties'.
Switch to the tab 'Security'. As 'Type of VPN' it should say 'Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPSec (L2TP/IPSec'. If not, please choose it and click on the button 'Advanced Settings'. Activate the option 'Use preshared key for authentication' and enter 'CyberGhost' (case sensitive!).
As 'Data Encryption' activate 'Maximum strength encryption ...', which equals 256 Bit AES.
|For media streaming it might be necessary to choose 'Require encryption ...' (which equals 128 Bit AES) to avoid disruptions, caused by the big load the 'Maximum strength encryption' puts on your CPU.|
Furthermore activate the option 'Allow these protocols' and put a mark in the box to 'Microsoft CHAP Version 2'.
In the tab 'Networking' you deactivate 'Internet Protocol Version 6'. Click on 'OK' to leave the dialog.
Close the adapter window and back in your VPN list click on the "Connect" button of the connection you just created.
Alternatively click on the network icon in your System Tray and start a VPN connection from there.
|Certain routers need you to activate the L2TP/IPSec protocol in order to establish working connections. How you can accomplish that task should be documented in your router's manual.