To get CyberGhost VPN up and running is extremely easy and just needs a few mouse clicks here and there.
To be able to install CyberGhost VPN and use the software you need the following minimum system requirements:
- 1 GHz PC 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 2 Gigabyte RAM (depending on your running Windows operating system)
- 200 Megabyte free hard drive space (180 MB less, if Microsoft .NET 3.5 SP1 is already installed)
- CD-, DVD- or Blu-ray-Drive (optional for boxed version)
- 1024 x 600 pixel screen resolution, High Color or True Color
- Mouse, trackball or similar
- Correctly installed and pre-configured Internet connection
- Windows 7 (32/64-bit), Windows 7 Starter
- Windows 8 (32/64 Bit), Windows 8.1 (32/64 Bit)
- Windows 10
- Microsoft .NET
- Windows 7 (32/64-bit), Windows 7 Starter
Since Windows XP (32 and 64-bit) is not supported any longer by Microsoft and will not be updated any more against security leaks, CyberGhost will end its support as well and end all compatibility efforts beginning immediately. Users are asked to update to a modern Windows platform.
Please also note that Microsoft stops delivering security updates for Windows Vista, beginning April 11th, 2017. From that day on CyberGhost also stops supporting Windows Vista, for it must be considered then as insecure as well.
Download the free CyberGhost VPN client and proceed as follows:
- Save your data and close all open programs, which are not necessary for system protection, such as anti virus software.
- Start the Setup Wizard by double clicking on the downloaded web installer file
- Follow the instructions that appear after launching the Setup Wizard. It will take you through all necessary steps.
There are no different versions for the Free and the Premium service, only the active subscription makes the difference and extends or limits the features available.
You don't have to open any ports or provide any other settings. All necessary steps are done by CyberGhost without user interference. However, what could interfere and endanger a successful installation, is that a firewall, an anti virus product or an Internet suite doesn't know CyberGhost and tries to block it's Internet communication. If that's the case, please put CyberGhost on the whitelist of the respective program. Usually you find ways how to do that described in the program's manual, but in case of doubts you better ask the original manufacturer. In some cases the CyberGhost support can also be of help.
After installation CyberGhost starts automatically and lets you choose between a couple of profiles, each representing a single use case scenario.
What are profiles? A profile is a set of optimized front end (client) and back end (service) settings for a respective scenario. For example: You want to access a blocked YouTube video and therefore activate the respective short cut in the 'Unlimited Streaming' profile. In the background CyberGhost automatically connects to the best suited server and pre-loads the most fitting additional features, in this case a server in the USA with the best performance available.
--> More details about the CyberGhost profiles can be found here.
Some profiles can also be fine-tuned with additional pre-protection security features, completing your online security and anonymity, such as:
- Block malicious websites: Blocks websites with malicious content, such as viruses, Trojans, Phishing links and other malware.
- Block ads: For a better Internet experience you can CyberGhost advise to block ads and banners.
- Block Online Tracking: Filters out web page elements that could be used to track your surfing behavior, such as the Facebook Like button.
- Data Compression: Meant to save data volume on mobile Internet connections.
- Automated HTTPS redirect: Uses secure HTTPS websites whenever possible (depends on the target website) and therefore establishes end-to-end encryption while surfing.
None of these options will put an extra load on your device, in fact each remotely activates server side techniques solely being performed inside the CyberGhost network before any data is sent to you. If a profile includes additional features, these can be activated or deactivated in the connection window before initiating the the respective connection.
Older program versions will be noticed and updated by CyberGhost VPN automatically to make sure you work with the most recent program version. In case the client is not active, a check takes place every hour and, if an update is available, it will be downloaded and installed silently.
In case the client is active, a notification will be shown in the main program window.
To install the update, just click on 'Restart and update now'.
If you don't update and if no active connection to a VPN server is running, the update will be installed after an hour automatically and without any further notice and the client restarted. In case an active connection to a VPN server is running, the update will be postponed until one hour after disconnecting. If a new VPN connection will be opened in this countdown hour, the update will again be postponed.
The update wizard just checks for the CyberGhost VPN program version. No personal data will be sent from your computer to our update servers.
If you need or want to remove CyberGhost open the Windows Control Panel, move to 'Program and Features' and mark the entry 'CyberGhost'. In the upper menu click on 'Uninstall', so the program and the also installed network adapter can be removed.
Removal of the CyberGhost client doesn't effect an existing subscription, which stays valid. To cancel a subscription, please open your account management and click in the area 'My Account > Subscription' on 'Cancel subscription'.
To also remove the account scroll down a bit more and click on the link 'Delete account'.
You can use CyberGhost VPN for Windows freely with the 'Surf Anonymously', 'Unblock Basic Websites' and 'Protect my Internet connection' profiles. There are no traffic limitations, except a forced disconnection after 3 hours with the possibility to instantly connect again.
You can upgrade at any time for full functionality by purchasing a monthly or yearly subscription. For that just click on the button 'Upgrade'.