Please make sure the following requirements are met:
- Linux Ubuntu 13.1 (instructions might also work for older/newer versions, but can differ in details)
- Updated software packages
- Installed network manager
- A CyberGhost account
Here's how to create a CyberGhost account online
Here's how to manage your CyberGhost account
- A Premium or Premium Plus subscription
How to purchase or upgrade a subscription
How to upgrade or purchase a special offer from a newsletter, banner etc.
Only prepaid subscribers: How to enter an activation key
When using a native VPN protocol please make sure that your VPN protocol software supports the Internet protocol IPv6 along with IPv4 or run an IPv4 Internet connection only. Many Internet Service Providers connect with the IPv6 protocol or offer both protocols, IPv4 and IPv6, at the same time and as long as a native VPN protocol doesn't support IPv6 you risk data leaks, since an IPv6 connection can bypass the tunneled IPv4 connection.
While the CyberGhost client does support IPv6 and therefor prevent IPv6 leaks, users of native VPN protocols need to deactivate the IPv6 Internet protocol manually.
Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that, although the technical process is as thoroughly documented as possible, you need to have at least some technical understanding. There's always a chance for an overseen mistake and/or things have changed and the article is not updated yet.
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account.
Click on the menu entry 'My Devices' and then on button 'Add Device'.
In the list of Operating Systems you can CyberGhost use with, please click on 'Other' to be able to setup all necessary options for the PPTP protocol. When done the screen extends and gives way to 'Create new credentials'. Do it by clicking on the respective button.
Scroll up the page. As you see, the placeholder for a new device is now replaced by 'Linux, Router, etc.'. Click on that button:
Type a name for your new device and activate the wanted extra features, provided with each Premium subscription. These features can be (de)activated later on as well.
Scroll down and generate the login and configuration data for the PPTP protocol. FYI: The Point To Point Tunneling Protocol is widely available and uses PAP/CHAP for authentication, but because of possible implementation deficits in key management it can't be considered completely safe anymore and should only be used, if none of the alternatives OpenVPN or L2TP is available.
- Protocol: Choose the PPTP protocol.
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Depending on the chosen country as well as the availability of different server types as an attribute of your current plan you can also define a server group to use:
- Standard Server: This is the group of all paid service servers (Special Edition, Premium, Premium Plus)
- Premium Server: This is the smaller group of all exclusive servers for Premium subscribers (Premium, Premium Plus)
- NoSpy Server: This is the group of all exclusive NoSpy servers for Premium subscribers with special extensions.
After setting up your connection wishes please note down the following data sets. You will need them to configure your device:
- Server: This is the server address of the country you want to surf from, e.g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'. The address includes encrypted information about your plan, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost. If you want to connect to different locations, you need to adjust the target destination according to a different country and note down that 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... address as well.
- User name: A solely for protocol usage generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name.
- Password: A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account password.
Click in the upper right corner on the network icon and start the network manager via 'VPN Connections > Configure VPN'. Click on 'Add'.
Choose 'Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)' ...
... and click on 'Create'.
Choose a descriptive name for your new connection, which reflects the country of the server you want to surf from and maybe even the server group in use (e.g. ‘CG_RO_Default’).
As the 'Gateway' fill in one of the addresses you noted before, e.g. '4-ro.cg-dialup.net'*.
As 'User name' please type in the user name created in step 1.
As 'Password' type in the password the password, also created in step 1.
|DO NOT use your regular CyberGhost user name and password, which you use to login in the client and your account management!|
Click on ‘Advanced’, when you’re done, and activate 'Use Point-to-Point encryption (MPPE)'.
Confirm with 'OK' and 'Save' and enter your password for your Ubuntu key.
Back in the network manager you now should have an entry with your new PPTP connection.
If you want multiple VPN connections to different locations, CyberGhost operates server in, please repeat all steps for each of the other addresses you note down, when choosing the country in step 1.