Please make sure the following requirements are met:
- Linux Ubuntu 13.1 (instructions might also work for older/newer versions, but can differ in details)
- Updated software packages
- Installed network manager
- A CyberGhost account
Here's how to create a CyberGhost account online
Here's how to manage your CyberGhost account
- A CyberGhost subscription
How to purchase or upgrade a subscription
Only prepaid subscribers: How to enter an activation key
Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that, although the technical process is as thoroughly documented as possible, you need to have at least some technical understanding. There's always a chance for an overseen mistake and/or things have changed and the article is not updated yet.
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account and login with your Premium Username and Password
Click on 'My Devices' and in the 'Add a new device' section > click 'Others'.
At the new screen, in the 'Server configuration' tab, the desired parameters can be configured. For the purpose of setting PPTP for your device, choose 'PPTP' from the Protocol drop down menu. Your desired country and server group, as described below, need to be defined too:
Also type in a Device name to assign to your device, then configure the parameters for the new device.
- Protocol: please choose PPTP
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Choose the server group and the OpenVPN protocol (UDP or TCP) you want to use:
UDP allows higher speed than the TCP version, but can result in broken downloads in some cases. This is the default setting.
TCP allows more stable connections than the UDP version, but is a bit slower. Choose this version, if you have recurrent connection issues such as sudden disconnections.
After setting up your preferred settings, save them with 'Save and download configuration'.
Access the configuration data for the PPTP protocol. FYI: The Point To Point Tunneling Protocol is widely available and uses PAP/CHAP for authentication, but because of possible implementation deficits in key management it can't be considered completely safe anymore and should only be used, if none of the alternatives OpenVPN or L2TP is available.
To view the PPTP credentials that are generated for you on the configuration dashboard, press View Configuration.
Once the new page is opened, your connection credentials are generated for you but make note of the following information, you will need them to configure your device.
Please note down the following data sets:
- Server group: This is the server address of the country you want to surf from, e.g. '1234-ro.cg-dialup.net'. The address includes encrypted information about your plan, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost. If you want to connect to different locations, you need to adjust the target destination according to a different country and note down that 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... address as well.
- User name: A solely for protocol usage generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name.
- Password: A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account password.
- Pre-shared key
Please see the credentials that are downloaded for you once you press 'Download configuration'.
Click in the upper right corner on the network icon and start the network manager via 'VPN Connections > Configure VPN'. Click on 'Add'.
Choose 'Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)' ...
... and click on 'Create'.
Choose a descriptive name for your new connection, which reflects the country of the server you want to surf from and maybe even the server group in use (e.g. ‘CG_RO_Default’).
As the 'Gateway' fill in one of the addresses you noted before, e.g. '4-ro.cg-dialup.net'*.
As 'User name' please type in the user name created in step 1.
As 'Password' type in the password the password, also created in step 1.
|DO NOT use your regular CyberGhost user name and password, which you use to login in the client and your account management!|
Click on ‘Advanced’, when you’re done, and activate 'Use Point-to-Point encryption (MPPE)'.
Confirm with 'OK' and 'Save' and enter your password for your Ubuntu key.
Back in the network manager you now should have an entry with your new PPTP connection.
If you want multiple VPN connections to different locations, CyberGhost operates server in, please repeat all steps for each of the other addresses you note down, when choosing the country in step 1.