Please make sure the following requirements are met:
- Windows Phone 8.1 (please be aware that Microsoft doesn't support Windows Phone 8 anymore and it can't be considered safe due to lacks of security updates)
- Installed OpenVPN software
- A CyberGhost account
Info: Here's how to create a CyberGhost account online
Info: Here's how to manage your CyberGhost account
- A CyberGhost subscription
Info: How to purchase or upgrade a subscription
Info for prepaid subscribers: How to enter an activation key
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account and login with your Premium Username and Password
Click on 'My Devices' and in the 'Add a new device' section > click 'Others'.
Click Configure new device and in the new window, choose your desired protocol, in our example: L2TP and your preferred country and server group, as described below.
Also type in a Device name to assign to your device, then configure the parameters for the new device.
FYI: The Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) allows operations of multiple tunnels and can be considered as very safe. For authentication it uses PAP/CHAP, but it lacks its own encryption, which is why CyberGhost uses L2TP in connection with the encryption technology IPSec as 'L2TP/IPSec'
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Depending on the chosen country as well as the availability of different server types as an attribute of your current plan you can also define a server group to use:
After setting up your preferred settings, save them with 'Save and download configuration'.
To view the L2TP credentials that are generated for you on the configuration dashboard, press View Configuration.
Once the new page is opened, your connection credentials are generated for you but make note of the following information:
- Server group: This is the address of the country (server) you want to be connected with, e.g. '12345-1-ca.cg-dialup.net'. Note: This address changes with every country you have chosen in the step before. The actual single server to be used will be chosen automatically by CyberGhost.
- User name: A solely for this protocol generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name, it's used only to authenticate with our servers via Manual Configurations.
- Password (you need to check the "Show Password" option in order to see it): A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account Password, it's used only to authenticate with our servers via Manual Configurations.
- Pre-Shared Key
Please download the configuration file. For that please click on 'Download configuration' and download the config file to your computer (it's recommended that you create a special folder for the config, somewhere accessible like your Desktop).
Now, in your Windows Phone, tap on ‘Settings’ ...
Tap on ‘VPN’ ...
Tap on the ‘plus’ sign to add another (or your first) VPN connection:
Now specify your connection details (for some you need to scroll down):
- Server name or IP address: Tap into the text field and type in the server address of the country you want to connect with (just as it is shown in your account management), e.g. ‘1-ro.cg-dialup.net’. The address includes encrypted information about your plan, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost. If you want to connect to different locations, you need to adjust the target destination according to a different country and note down that 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... address as well.
- Type: Tap on the drop-down list and choose ‘L2TP with IPSec’.
- Connect using: Tap on the list and choose ‘user name + password + preshared key’ for a L2TP connection.
- User name: Tap inside the field and type in the user name created in step 1. DO NOT use your regular user name!
- Password: Tap inside the field and type your special L2TP password, generated for you inside your account management (this is NOT identical with your regular CyberGhost password). To avoid typos, please activate the ‘Show password’ option.
- Preshared key: Type in ‘CyberGhost’ and mind the capital letters! Again: To avoid typos, please activate the ‘Show password’ option.
- Connect automatically: ‘On’. This feature makes sure that your phone will automatically connect to the VPN when needed.
- Send all traffic: ‘On’.
- Profile name: You can name the profile any way you want. However, if you want to add more countries later on, it’s best to include the country right from the start and maybe even the server group in use, e.g. ‘CyberGhost US Default’.
Ignore the ‘advanced’ settings (those options don’t need to be adjusted) and finally tap on ‘Save’.
A tiny padlock right above your connection icon informs you that your traffic is encrypted.
For fine tuning now tap on ‘Allow VPN over cellular data’ and activate this feature so you are also safe when leaving WLAN and entering the Internet via cellular data.