Please make sure the following requirements are met:
- Windows Phone 8.1 (please be aware that Microsoft doesn't support Windows Phone 8 anymore and it can't be considered safe due to lacks of security updates)
- Installed OpenVPN software
- A CyberGhost account
Info: Here's how to create a CyberGhost account online
Info: Here's how to manage your CyberGhost account
- A CyberGhost subscription
Info: How to purchase or upgrade a subscription
Info for prepaid subscribers: How to enter an activation key
When using a native VPN protocol please make sure that your VPN protocol software supports the Internet protocol IPv6 along with IPv4 or run an IPv4 Internet connection only. Many Internet Service Providers connect with the IPv6 protocol or offer both protocols, IPv4 and IPv6, at the same time and as long as a native VPN protocol doesn't support IPv6 you risk data leaks, since an IPv6 connection can bypass the tunneled IPv4 connection. While the CyberGhost client does support IPv6 and therefor prevent IPv6 leaks, users of native VPN protocols need to deactivate the IPv6 Internet protocol manually.
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account.
Click on the menu entry 'My Devices' and then on button 'Add Device'.
In the list of Operating Systems you can CyberGhost use with, please click on 'Other' to be able to setup all necessary options for the L2TP protocol. When done the screen extends and gives way to 'Create new credentials'. Do it by clicking on the respective button.
Scroll up the page. As you see, the placeholder for a new device is now replaced by 'Linux, Router, etc.'. Click on that button:
Type a name for your new device and activate the wanted extra features, provided with each regular subscription. These features can be (de)activated later on as well.
Scroll down and generate the login and configuration data for the L2TP protocol. FYI: The Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) allows operations of multiple tunnels and can be considered as very safe. For authentication it uses PAP/CHAP, but it lacks its own encryption, which is why CyberGhost uses L2TP in connection with the encryption technology IPSec as 'L2TP/IPSec'
- Protocol: Choose the L2TP protocol.
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Depending on the chosen country as well as the availability of different server types as an attribute of your current plan you can also define a server group to use:
Standard and Premium Server: This is the group of all paid service servers of the country chosen. Subscribers of a Special Edition with limited access can't use regular Premium servers.
NoSpy Server: This is the group of all exclusive NoSpy servers of the country chosen. These servers can only be accessed by those subscribers, who opt for them as an additional feature.
After setting up your connection wishes please note down the following data sets. You will need them to configure your device:
- Server: This is the server address of the country you want to surf from, e.g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'. The address includes encrypted information about your plan, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost. If you want to connect to different locations, you need to adjust the target destination according to a different country and note down that 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... address as well.
- User name: A solely for protocol usage generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name.
- Password: A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account password.
- Pre shared secret: For L2TP connections you also need this additional password.
Now, in your Windows Phone, tap on ‘Settings’ ...
Tap on ‘VPN’ ...
Tap on the ‘plus’ sign to add another (or your first) VPN connection:
Now specify your connection details (for some you need to scroll down):
- Server name or IP address: Tap into the text field and type in the server address of the country you want to connect with (just as it is shown in your account management), e.g. ‘1-ro.cg-dialup.net’. The address includes encrypted information about your plan, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost. If you want to connect to different locations, you need to adjust the target destination according to a different country and note down that 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... address as well.
- Type: Tap on the drop-down list and choose ‘L2TP with IPSec’.
- Connect using: Tap on the list and choose ‘user name + password + preshared key’ for a L2TP connection.
- User name: Tap inside the field and type in the user name created in step 1. DO NOT use your regular user name!
- Password: Tap inside the field and type your special L2TP password, generated for you inside your account management (this is NOT identical with your regular CyberGhost password). To avoid typos, please activate the ‘Show password’ option.
- Preshared key: Type in ‘CyberGhost’ and mind the capital letters! Again: To avoid typos, please activate the ‘Show password’ option.
- Connect automatically: ‘On’. This feature makes sure that your phone will automatically connect to the VPN when needed.
- Send all traffic: ‘On’.
- Profile name: You can name the profile any way you want. However, if you want to add more countries later on, it’s best to include the country right from the start and maybe even the server group in use, e.g. ‘CyberGhost US Default’.
Ignore the ‘advanced’ settings (those options don’t need to be adjusted) and finally tap on ‘Save’.
A tiny padlock right above your connection icon informs you that your traffic is encrypted.
For fine tuning now tap on ‘Allow VPN over cellular data’ and activate this feature so you are also safe when leaving WLAN and entering the Internet via cellular data.