Please make sure the following requirements are met:
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account and login with your Premium Username and Password
Click on 'My Devices' and in the 'Add a new device' section > click 'Others'.
Click Configure new device and in the new window, choose your desired protocol, in our example: IPSEC and your preferred country and server group, as described below.
Also type in a Device name to assign to your device, then configure the parameters for the new device.
FYI: The IP Security Protocol can easily be integrated into existing networks and will be safe for a long time, because it avoids to be determined on certain encryption techniques. For authentication and encryption it uses different protocols, further more it can be extended by additional protocols. IPSec can be considered as very safe.
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Depending on the chosen country as well as the availability of different server types as an attribute of your current plan you can also define a server group to use:
After setting up your preferred settings, save them with 'Save and download configuration'.
To view the IPSec credentials that are generated for you on the configuration dashboard, press View Configuration.
Once the new page is opened, your connection credentials are generated for you but make note of the following information:
- Server group: This is the address of the country (server) you want to be connected with, e.g. '12345-1-ca.cg-dialup.net'. Note: This address changes with every country you have chosen in the step before. The actual single server to be used will be chosen automatically by CyberGhost.
- User name: A solely for this protocol generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name, it's used only to authenticate with our servers via Manual Configurations.
- Password (you need to check the "Show Password" option in order to see it): A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account Password, it's used only to authenticate with our servers via Manual Configurations.
- Pre-Shared Key
Please download the configuration file. For that please click on 'Download configuration' and download the config file to your computer (it's recommended that you create a special folder for the config, somewhere accessible like your Desktop).
Open your iPad/iPhone 'Settings', then touch ‘General > VPN > Add VPN configuration’. Note, that these steps can vary a bit contingent upon which device you use, but in general all handling is nearly the same.
Now activate the IPSec protocol tab and enter the following data:
- Description: The description should reflect the country of the server you want to surf from and maybe the server group (e.g. ‘CyberGhost IPSec RO Default’).
- Server: Here fill in one of the addresses you noted before, e.g. '1-ro.cg-dial.net'.
- Account: Please use the user name created in step 1. DO NOT use your regular user name!
- Password: Type in the password you got in your online account in step 1. DO NOT use your regular account password.
- Secret: Here goes the ‘Secret Key/PSK' you noted. In case you forgot: it's 'CyberGhost' (case sensitive).
Tap in the upper right corner on ‘Save’, when you’re done.
Now touch the CyberGhost VPN entry, located at ‘General > VPN’ and start your connection by simply tapping on it.
If you want multiple VPN connections to different locations, CyberGhost operates server in, please repeat all steps for each of the other addresses you note down, when choosing the country in step 1.