Please make sure the following requirements are met:
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account.
Click on the menu entry 'My Devices' and then on button 'Add Device'.
In the list of Operating Systems you can CyberGhost use with, please click on 'Other' to be able to setup all necessary options for the IPSec protocol. When done the screen extends and gives way to 'Create new credentials'. Do it by clicking on the respective button.
Scroll up the page. As you see, the placeholder for a new device is now replaced by 'Linux, Router, etc.'. Click on that button:
Type a name for your new device and activate the wanted extra features, provided with each regular subscription. These features can be (de)activated later on as well.
Scroll down and generate the login and configuration data for the IPSec protocol. FYI: The IP Security Protocol can easily be integrated into existing networks and will be safe for a long time, because it avoids to be determined on certain encryption techniques. For authentication and encryption it uses different protocols, further more it can be extended by additional protocols. IPSec can be considered as very safe.
- Protocol: Choose the IPSec protocol.
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Depending on the chosen country as well as the availability of different server types as an attribute of your current plan you can also define a server group to use:
Standard and Premium Server: This is the group of all paid service servers of the country chosen.
NoSpy Server: This is the group of all exclusive NoSpy servers of the country chosen. These servers can only be accessed by those subscribers, who opt for them as an additional feature.
After setting up your connection wishes please note down the following data sets. You will need them to configure your device:
- Server: This is the server address of the country you want to surf from, e.g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'. The address includes encrypted information about your plan, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost. If you want to connect to different locations, you need to adjust the target destination according to a different country and note down that 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... address as well.
- User name: A solely for protocol usage generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name.
- Password: A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account password.
- Pre shared secret: For IPSec connections you also need this additional password.
Open your iPad/iPhone 'Settings', then touch ‘General > VPN > Add VPN configuration’. Note, that these steps can vary a bit contingent upon which device you use, but in general all handling is nearly the same.
Now activate the IPSec protocol tab and enter the following data:
- Description: The description should reflect the country of the server you want to surf from and maybe the server group (e.g. ‘CyberGhost IPSec RO Default’).
- Server: Here fill in one of the addresses you noted before, e.g. '1-ro.cg-dial.net'.
- Account: Please use the user name created in step 1. DO NOT use your regular user name!
- Password: Type in the password you got in your online account in step 1. DO NOT use your regular account password.
- Secret: Here goes the ‘Secret Key/PSK' you noted. In case you forgot: it's 'CyberGhost' (case sensitive).
Tap in the upper right corner on ‘Save’, when you’re done.
Now touch the CyberGhost VPN entry, located at ‘General > VPN’ and start your connection by simply tapping on it.
If you want multiple VPN connections to different locations, CyberGhost operates server in, please repeat all steps for each of the other addresses you note down, when choosing the country in step 1.