Please make sure the following requirements are met:
When using a native VPN protocol please make sure that the VPN protocol software supports the Internet protocol IPv6 along with IPv4 or run an IPv4 Internet connection only. Many Internet Service Providers connect with the IPv6 protocol or offer both protocols, IPv4 and IPv6, at the same time and as long as a native VPN protocol doesn't support IPv6 you risk data leaks, since an IPv6 connection can bypass the tunneled IPv4 connection. While the CyberGhost client does support IPv6 and therefor prevent IPv6 leaks, users of native VPN protocols need to deactivate the IPv6 Internet protocol manually. This can be done for example in your DSL router (if using your device at home). Otherwise please consult the manual of your iOS version to search for the respective settings.
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account.
Click on the menu entry 'My Devices' and then on button 'Add Device'.
In the list of Operating Systems you can use CyberGhost with, please click on 'Other' to be able to setup all necessary options for the L2TP protocol. When done the screen extends and gives way to 'Create new credentials'. Do it by clicking on the respective button.
Scroll up the page. As you see, the placeholder for a new device is now replaced by 'Linux, Router, etc.'. Click on that button:
Type a name for your new device and activate the wanted extra features, provided with each regular subscription. These features can be (de)activated later on as well.
Scroll down and generate the login and configuration data for the L2TP protocol. FYI: The Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) allows operations of multiple tunnels and can be considered as very safe. For authentication it uses PAP/CHAP, but it lacks its own encryption, which is why CyberGhost uses L2TP in connection with the encryption technology IPSec as 'L2TP/IPSec'
- Protocol: Choose the L2TP protocol.
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Depending on the chosen country as well as the availability of different server types as an attribute of your current plan you can also define a server group to use:
Standard and Premium Server: This is the group of all paid service servers of the country chosen. Subscribers of a Special Edition with limited access can't use regular Premium servers.
NoSpy Server: This is the group of all exclusive NoSpy servers of the country chosen. These servers can only be accessed by those subscribers, who opt for them as an additional feature.
After setting up your connection wishes please note down the following data sets. You will need them to configure your device:
- Server: This is the server address of the country you want to surf from, e.g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'. The address includes encrypted information about your plan, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost. If you want to connect to different locations, you need to adjust the target destination according to a different country and note down that 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... address as well.
- User name: A solely for protocol usage generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name.
- Password: A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account password.
- Pre shared secret: For L2TP connections you also need this additional password.
Open your iPad/iPhone 'Settings', then touch ‘General > VPN > Add VPN configuration’. Note, that these steps can vary a bit contingent upon which device you use, but in general all handling is nearly the same.
Now activate the L2TP protocol tab and enter the following data:
- Description: The description should reflect the country of the server you want to surf from and maybe the server group (e.g. ‘CyberGhost IPSec RO Default’).
- Server: Here fill in one of the addresses you noted before, e.g. '1-ro.cg-dial.net'.
- Account: Please use the user name created in step 1. DO NOT use your regular user name!
- Password: Type in the password you got in your online account in step 1. DO NOT use your regular account password.
- Secret: Here goes the ‘Secret Key/PSK' you noted. In case you forgot: it's 'CyberGhost' (case sensitive).
Tap in the upper right corner on ‘Save’, when you’re done.
Now touch the new CyberGhost VPN entry, located at ‘General > VPN’ and start your connection by simply tapping on it.
If you want multiple VPN connections to different locations, CyberGhost operates server in, please repeat all steps for each of the other addresses you note down, when choosing the country in step 1.