Please make sure the following requirements are met:
- Android Operating System Version 4.4 or above
- A CyberGhost account
Info: Here's how to create a CyberGhost account online
Info: Here's how to manage your CyberGhost account
- A CyberGhost subscription
Info: How to purchase or upgrade a subscription
Info for prepaid subscribers: How to enter an activation key
Android versions below 4 don't support OpenVPN. To be able to use OpenVPN anyway, you need to root and mod your device. An alternative (and recommended) solution is the usage of a different native protocol, either L2TP or IPSec.
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account and login with your Premium Username and Password
Click on 'My Devices' and in the 'Add a new device' section > click 'Others'.
Click Configure new device and in the new window, choose your desired protocol, in our example: OpenVPN and your preferred country and server group, as described below.
Also type in a Device name to assign to your device, then configure the parameters for the new device.
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Choose the server group and the OpenVPN protocol (UDP or TCP) you want to use:
UDP allows higher speed than the TCP version, but can result in broken downloads in some cases. This is the default setting.
TCP allows more stable connections than the UDP version, but is a bit slower. Choose this version, if you have recurrent connection issues such as sudden disconnections.
After setting up your preferred settings, save them with 'Save and download configuration'.
To view the OpenVPN credentials that are generated for you on the configuration dashboard, press 'View Configuration'.
Once the new page is opened, your connection credentials are generated for you but make note of the following information:
- Server group: This is the address of the country (server) you want to be connected with, e.g. '12345-1-ca.cg-dialup.net'. Note: This address changes with every country you have chosen in the step before. The actual single server to be used will be chosen automatically by CyberGhost.
- User name: A solely for this protocol generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name, it's used only to authenticate with our servers via Manual Configurations.
- Password (you need to check the "Show Password" option in order to see it): A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account Password, it's used only to authenticate with our servers via Manual Configurations.
- Pre-Shared Key
Please download the configuration file. For that please click on 'Download configuration' and download the config file to your computer (it's recommended that you create a special folder for the config, somewhere accessible like your Desktop and Extract/Copy the contents of the .zip file there).
Now, the saved config is a ZIP file, which contains the following single files:
- ca.crt: This is the certificate of the certification authority
- client.crt: This is the user certification file
- client.key: This is your private key file
- openvpn.ovpn: This is your OpenVPN configuration file
Unzip the files or copy the pre-unzipped files into a folder on your device, e. g. 'CyberGhost'.
If you want to surf from different countries, rename the unzipped OpenVPN configuration file from 'openvpn.ovpn' to e.g. 'CG_RO_NoSpy.ovpn' (or whatever location/server group combination you have chosen while setting up the configuration file in your account management).
Choose then a different location and a different server group (if available) and download the next zipped configuration file. Unzip it, rename the containing 'OpenVPN.ovpn' as well und copy it inside the folder with the other configuration files already downloaded. The remaining certificate and key files do not need to be copied again, for you already have them from the first download.
For two different countries you need for example do the following steps:
- Specify device, protocol and operating system
- Choose a country, e.g. USA
- Download the zipped configuration file with certificates, key and OpenVPN configuration file
- Unzip the downloaded file and copy all files into a new 'CyberGhost' or 'OpenVPN' folder
- Rename the OpenVPN configuration file from ‘openvpn.ovpn’ to ‘CG_USA.ovpn’. (If you need to address a single server instead a country in general, you are to edit the OVPN file and exchange the pre-configured server address line.
- Choose the next country, e.g. Romania
- Download the next zipped configuration file
- Unzip the downloaded file and copy just the file 'openvpn.ovpn' into the folder with the other configuration files
- Rename it to ‘CG_RO.ovpn’.
- etc. ...
The folder now consists of the following files (regarding the example above):
The OpenVPN client 'OpenVPN for Android' from Arne Schwabe can be downloaded for free from Google Play. Just start 'Google Play', search for 'OpenVPN for Android', download and install.
After installation is done, tap on 'Open'.
When starting the app for the first time a notifier window appears to help you create your first OpenVPN connection.
Tap in the upper right on the folder icon to load your downloaded, unzipped and probably renamed OpenVPN configuration file.
Search for the .ovpn file, tap on it and import the protocol.
The configuration details will be loaded automatically. The profile name will be the same as the file name. Please save the configuration by tapping on the disk icon on the bottom right corner.
Then tap right on the settings icon ...
...and check, if the following files are bound to your connection:
- CA Certificate: This is the file 'ca.crt'.
- Client Certificate: This is the file 'client.crt'.
- Client Certificate Key: This is the file 'client.key'.
At the bottom of the same window type in your credentials which consist of 1) the user name created in step 1, and 2) the password, also created in step 1. DO NOT use your regular CyberGhost user name and password, which you use to login in the client and your account management!
Back in the profile screen start your CyberGhost OpenVPN connection; a warning message asks for permission to redirect your network traffic. Allow it.
After the connection is established, you should find a respective notification.