Please make sure the following requirements are met:
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account.
Click on the menu entry 'My Devices' and then on button 'Add Device'.
In the list of Operating Systems you can CyberGhost use with, please click on 'Other' to be able to setup all necessary options for the L2TP protocol. When done the screen extends and gives way to 'Create new credentials'. Do it by clicking on the respective button.
Scroll up the page. As you see, the placeholder for a new device is now replaced by 'Linux, Router, etc.'. Click on that button:
Type a name for your new device and activate the wanted extra features, provided with each regular subscription. These features can be (de)activated later on as well.
Scroll down and generate the login and configuration data for the L2TP protocol. FYI: The Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) allows operations of multiple tunnels and can be considered as very safe. For authentication it uses PAP/CHAP, but it lacks its own encryption, which is why CyberGhost uses L2TP in connection with the encryption technology IPSec as 'L2TP/IPSec'
- Protocol: Choose the L2TP protocol.
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Depending on the chosen country as well as the availability of different server types as an attribute of your current plan you can also define a server group to use:
Standard and Premium Server: This is the group of all paid service servers of the country chosen.
NoSpy Server: This is the group of all exclusive NoSpy servers of the country chosen. These servers can only be accessed by those subscribers, who opt for them as an additional feature.
After setting up your connection wishes please note down the following data sets. You will need them to configure your device:
- Server: This is the server address of the country you want to surf from, e.g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'. The address includes encrypted information about your plan, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost. If you want to connect to different locations, you need to adjust the target destination according to a different country and note down that 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... address as well.
- User name: A solely for protocol usage generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name.
- Password: A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account password.
- Pre shared secret: For L2TP connections you also need this additional password.
Open your Android settings:
Tap on 'More' and then on ‘VPN'.
Tap on the 'Plus' icon on the upper right:
Enter a ‘Name’ for your new VPN connection, which should reflect somehow the country of the server you want to surf from and maybe even protocol and server group (e.g. ‘CyberGhost L2TP US Default’).
Specify the L2TP protocol by choosing the entry 'L2TP/IPSec PSK' from the 'Type' drop down menu und add the address you noted in step 1, e.g. '8-ro.cg-dialup.net'. (The address includes encrypted information about your plan, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost. If you want to connect to different locations, you need to adjust the target destination according to a different country and note down that 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... address as well.)
Scroll down until 'IPSec pre-shared key' and enter 'CyberGhost' (case sensitive!).
Once you are done, tap on 'Save'. Back in the VPN connection list you should now find your new connection.
Each VPN connection can naturally only address one server; in case you need or want more than one location to choose from you need the respective amount of single VPN connections, each configured separately.
Now tap on a connection and enter your credentials which consist of 1) the user name created in step 1, and 2) the password, also created in step 1. DO NOT use your regular CyberGhost user name and password, which you use to login in the client and your account management!
At last tap on 'Connect'.
After being connected, your device will keep you updated about the connection status in your notifying area:
Certain routers need you to activate the L2TP/IPSec protocol. How you can accomplish that task should be documented in your router's manual.