Please note the following requirements:
Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that, although the technical process is as thoroughly documented as possible, you need to have at least some technical understanding. There's always a chance for an overseen mistake and/or things have changed and the article is not updated yet
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account and login with your Premium Username and Password
Click on 'My Devices' and in the 'Add a new device' section > click 'Others'.
Click Configure new device and in the new window, choose your desired protocol, in our example: L2TP and your preferred country and server group, as described below.
Also type in a Device name to assign to your device, then configure the parameters for the new device.
FYI: The Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) allows operations of multiple tunnels and can be considered as very safe. For authentication it uses PAP/CHAP, but it lacks its own encryption, which is why CyberGhost uses L2TP in connection with the encryption technology IPSec as 'L2TP/IPSec'
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Depending on the chosen country as well as the availability of different server types as an attribute of your current plan you can also define a server group to use:
After setting up your preferred settings, save them with 'Save and download configuration'.
To view the L2TP credentials that are generated for you on the configuration dashboard, press View Configuration.
Once the new page is opened, your connection credentials are generated for you but make note of the following information:
- Server group: This is the address of the country (server) you want to be connected with, e.g. '12345-1-ca.cg-dialup.net'. Note: This address changes with every country you have chosen in the step before. The actual single server to be used will be chosen automatically by CyberGhost.
- User name: A solely for this protocol generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name, it's used only to authenticate with our servers via Manual Configurations.
- Password (you need to check the "Show Password" option in order to see it): A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account Password, it's used only to authenticate with our servers via Manual Configurations.
- Pre-Shared Key
Please download the configuration file. For that please click on 'Download configuration' and download the config file to your computer (it's recommended that you create a special folder for the config, somewhere accessible like your Desktop).
Now open the 'Internet connection' overview by clicking on the bottom right of the screen on your user symbol and then choosing the entry 'Settings'. Click on 'Add connection'.
Next click on 'Add Private Network'
Have a look at your notes and enter the server IP address in the field 'Server hostname' (which is the address of the server in the country you want to be connected with), e.g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'. The address includes encrypted information about your plan, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost. If you want to connect to different locations, you need to adjust the target destination according to a different country and note down that 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... address as well.
For the 'Service name' choose a description, which reflects the country of the server and maybe the server group you want to surf from (e.g. ‘CyberGhost US Default’).
- Provider-Type: Choose the entry 'L2TP/IPSec + Pre-shared Key'.
- Pre-shared Key: Type in the ‘Pre-shared Key/Secret Key/PSK' you noted before ('CyberGhost').
- Username: As the 'User name' please use the user name created in step 1. DO NOT use your regular CyberGhost user name!
- Password: Type in the password that has been generated for you in your online account. DO NOT use your regular CyberGhost account password.
- Save identity and password: If you want to log in automatically later on, please activate this option.
At last click on 'Connect'.
If you want multiple VPN connections to different locations, CyberGhost operates server in, please repeat all steps for each of the other addresses you note down, when choosing the country in step 1.
For future usage click on the user symbol in your task bar, go to 'Connected to Ethernet' and click on on the L2TP connection you want.