Please note the following requirements:
- Device with a recent Chrome OS
- A CyberGhost account
Info: Here's how to create a CyberGhost account online
Info: How to manage your CyberGhost account
- A Premium or Premium Plus subscription
Info: How to purchase or upgrade a subscription
Info: How to purchase special offers by newsletter, banner, etc.
Info (only prepaid subscribers): Enter activation key
When using a native VPN protocol such as an integrated VPN software in a certain device please make sure that the VPN protocol software supports the Internet protocol IPv6 along with IPv4 or run an IPv4 Internet connection only. Many Internet Service Providers connect with the IPv6 protocol or offer both Internet protocols, IPv4 and IPv6, at the same time and as long as a native VPN protocol doesn't support IPv6 you risk data leaks (since an IPv6 connection can bypass the tunneled IPv4 connection). While the CyberGhost client does support IPv6 and therefor prevents IPv6 leaks, users of native VPN protocols need to deactivate IPv6 manually, if it is not supported by the respective VPN software. Please consult the manual of your device, resp. its firmware to find out, how this task can be accomplished.
Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that, although the technical process is as thoroughly documented as possible, you need to have at least some technical understanding. There's always a chance for an overseen mistake and/or things have changed and the article is not updated yet
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account.
Click on the menu entry 'My Devices' and then on button 'Add Device'.
In the list of Operating Systems you can CyberGhost use with, please click on 'Other' to be able to setup all necessary options for the L2TP protocol. When done the screen extends and gives way to 'Create new credentials'. Do it by clicking on the respective button.
Scroll up the page. As you see, the placeholder for a new device is now replaced by 'Linux, Router, etc.'. Click on that button:
Type a name for your new device and activate the wanted extra features, provided with each Premium subscription. These features can be (de)activated later on as well.
Scroll down and generate the login and configuration data for the L2TP protocol. FYI: The Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) allows operations of multiple tunnels and can be considered as very safe. For authentication it uses PAP/CHAP, but it lacks its own encryption, which is why CyberGhost uses L2TP in connection with the encryption technology IPSec as 'L2TP/IPSec'
- Protocol: Choose the L2TP protocol.
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Depending on the chosen country as well as the availability of different server types as an attribute of your current plan you can also define a server group to use:
Standard Server: This is the group of all paid service servers (Special Edition, Premium, Premium Plus).
Premium Server: This is the smaller group of all exclusive servers for Premium subscribers (Premium, Premium Plus).
NoSpy Server: This is the group of all exclusive NoSpy servers for Premium subscribers with special extensions.
After setting up your connection wishes please note down the following data sets. You will need them to configure your device:
- Server: This is the server address of the country you want to surf from, e.g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'. The address includes encrypted information about your plan, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost. If you want to connect to different locations, you need to adjust the target destination according to a different country and note down that 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... address as well.
- User name: A solely for protocol usage generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name.
- Password: A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account password.
- Pre shared secret: For L2TP connections you also need this additional password.
Now open the 'Internet connection' overview by clicking on the bottom right of the screen on your user symbol and then choosing the entry 'Settings'. Click on 'Add connection'.
Next click on 'Add Private Network'
Have a look at your notes and enter the server IP address in the field 'Server hostname' (which is the address of the server in the country you want to be connected with), e.g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'. The address includes encrypted information about your plan, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost. If you want to connect to different locations, you need to adjust the target destination according to a different country and note down that 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... address as well.
For the 'Service name' choose a description, which reflects the country of the server and maybe the server group you want to surf from (e.g. ‘CyberGhost US Default’).
- Provider-Type: Choose the entry 'L2TP/IPSec + Pre-shared Key'.
- Pre-shared Key: Type in the ‘Pre-shared Key/Secret Key/PSK' you noted before ('CyberGhost').
- Username: As the 'User name' please use the user name created in step 1. DO NOT use your regular CyberGhost user name!
- Password: Type in the password that has been generated for you in your online account. DO NOT use your regular CyberGhost account password.
- Save identity and password: If you want to log in automatically later on, please activate this option.
At last click on 'Connect'.
If you want multiple VPN connections to different locations, CyberGhost operates server in, please repeat all steps for each of the other addresses you note down, when choosing the country in step 1.
For future usage click on the user symbol in your task bar, go to 'Connected to Ethernet' and click on on the L2TP connection you want.