Please make sure the following requirements are met:
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account and login with your Premium Username and Password
Click on 'My Devices' and in the 'Add a new device' section > click 'Others'.
Click Configure new device and in the new window, choose your desired protocol, in our example: L2TP and your preferred country and server group, as described below.
Also type in a Device name to assign to your device, then configure the parameters for the new device.
FYI: The Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) allows operations of multiple tunnels and can be considered as very safe. For authentication it uses PAP/CHAP, but it lacks its own encryption, which is why CyberGhost uses L2TP in connection with the encryption technology IPSec as 'L2TP/IPSec'
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Depending on the chosen country as well as the availability of different server types as an attribute of your current plan you can also define a server group to use:
After setting up your preferred settings, save them with 'Save and download configuration'.
To view the L2TP credentials that are generated for you on the configuration dashboard, press View Configuration.
Once the new page is opened, your connection credentials are generated for you but make note of the following information:
- Server group: This is the address of the country (server) you want to be connected with, e.g. '12345-1-ca.cg-dialup.net'. Note: This address changes with every country you have chosen in the step before. The actual single server to be used will be chosen automatically by CyberGhost.
- User name: A solely for this protocol generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name, it's used only to authenticate with our servers via Manual Configurations.
- Password (you need to check the "Show Password" option in order to see it): A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account Password, it's used only to authenticate with our servers via Manual Configurations.
- Pre-Shared Key
Please download the configuration file. For that please click on 'Download configuration' and download the config file to your computer (it's recommended that you create a special folder for the config, somewhere accessible like your Desktop).
You start your Mac OS X L2TP/IPSec configuration by first moving to 'System Preferences' and then 'Network'.
In the next window click on the '+' sign in the lower left corner.
Now, select 'VPN'.
In the list of 'Interfaces', choose the wanted VPN protocol (L2TP) as the 'VPN Type' and type in a name for your connection in the 'Service Name' field, e.g. 'VPN (L2TP)'. You might also want to choose a description, which reflects the country of the server you want to surf from and maybe even the server group in use (e.g. ‘CyberGhost L2TP US Standard’).
Lastly, click on 'Create'.
Now mark the new entry in your list of networks on the left side, enter the server address (e.g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net') and your user name, which is the user name created in step 1.
Click on 'Authentication Settings'.
Activate the option 'Password' (if not already highlighted) and enter the password that has been generated for you in your online account.
DO NOT use your regular account password.
Furthermore you need to type in a 'Shared Secret' which is the ‘Secret Key/PSK' you also noted before ('CyberGhost', in case you forgot).
Click on 'OK' to validate your settings.
Now open the 'Advanced' section on the lower right side of the settings window.
On the 'Options' tab, make sure that all three options under 'Session' are activated. The first ones already are, the third one, 'Send all traffic over VPN', needs to be checked by you. Click on 'OK' to leave the dialog.
Again back in the settings window, check the 'Show VPN status in the menu bar' and click on 'Apply'.
When done you now should see your new VPN connection in the menu bar of your MAC.
To connect to CyberGhost either click on 'Connect' in the 'Network' window ...
... or use the respective entry in the menu bar:
Certain routers need you to activate the L2TP/IPSec protocol. How you can accomplish that task should be documented in your router's manual.