When using the 'Best server' option you will establish a connection per default completely automatically on a server in one of the available countries, but you can also choose your favorite location manually by either changing the respective country or by directly activating an individual server.
To manually choose a country switch to the main screen and simply tap on the connection description between 'Connect to' and the little downwards showing arrow:
In the next screen you see a list of all countries CyberGhost operates servers in.
To make it easier for you to find your country of interest, simply type the respective name in the search field above the first country line. Note: If the search field is not visible, swipe downwards to reveal it.
As you can see the list can be pre-filtered:
- All countries: All available countries will be displayed.
- Streaming friendly: Only countries with optimized streaming servers will be displayed. More details on this topic you will find in the 'How to stream' article.
- Favorites: Only countries, single servers, or single streaming servers you previously marked as 'Favorites' will be shown in this list.
To activate the country of your choice simply tap on the resp. name or flag. The single server to be used in the country of choice will be determined by CyberGhost automatically, based on an internal load balancing.
Single server choice
To go one step further and activate a single, specific server in a country of your choice, tap on the three dots on the right end of the resp. country entry line.
The next screen shows you internal information on the respective country, such as the number of servers available, the total amount of users connected to all servers of that country and the average server load.
The menu allows you to:
- Add to Favorites: Tap to add the chosen country to your list of favorite countries to connect to.
- Show servers: Tap here for a complete list of servers in the country chosen. There you can choose any single server available (see below).
- Connect to country: Tap to connect to the chosen country right now, the single server to be used will be determined by CyberGhost automatically, based on the internal load balancing.
If you tapped to select a specific server, scroll through the list of all available single servers for this country and decide for one.
Tap on a server entry to select it directly or tap on the three dots to open the server menu, allowing you to either add the server to your favorites or to connect to it. The info table shows the number of users already connected and the usage load (in percent).
- Total users: Below the name of the server chosen you find the current number of active users. A high number equals a strong frequented server, which might result in slower connections, but provides a higher additional anonymity level (since all users share one IP address). A low level can equal a faster server, if the usage level is also moderate.
- Usage: The load of a server depends on the number of currently logged in users, but also on the traffic caused by them. Please note that a high load doesn't have to equal a high number of users. There is also the possibility that a handful of users occupy a big amount of the available bandwidth and as a result might slow down your surfing speed.
Once a country or single server is activated, the app switches back to the main screen, where the country or server will be shown right beneath the connection confirmation. Also the valid new IP address (different from your original one) is going to be displayed.
Please note that, although you are anonymized, you still need to be careful with your personal data. If you participate on a social network like Facebook, or if you are logged in to real name Google account while being anonymized, or expose your real name and/or email address in a different context, you will most certainly compromise your anonymity. Also some apps have rights to access your GPS.
To disconnect from the current connection tap on the power button.
After disconnecting the VPN, the country or server you used last will replace the default connection type and stay valid for all future connections - until you choose a different country or server or switch back to 'Best Location'.