Start the CyberGhost VPN client by clicking on its desktop symbol or start menu entry.
The app will open with the main screen, stating you are not protected yet.
To activate the VPN click on the yellow power button (while the connection mode is in 'Best Location').
Note: To cancel your connection you don't have to wait until the connection process ends. Just click on the yellow power button while connecting.
In case you don't want to use the 'Best Server' feature, choose a country or server by either clicking on the connection line (to open a list of favorite connections) ...
... or the yellow Expand button (to open the list of all servers available):
How to fast-choose a connection directly via the connection line
After clicking on the connection line you see a menu, where you can choose an entry from a list of favorite connections:
The first area includes favorites from all CyberGhost servers, either complete countries (while the server to be used will be chosen from the pool by CyberGhost), or single servers. The second and third area provide downloading and streaming favorites.
Click on an entry, return to the main screen and fire up the chosen connection by clicking on the yellow power button. It will be established immediately.
NOTE: Clicking the STATS icon will bring up useful information about how the current connection is performing.
These stats include:
- Current speed: this shows the current connection speed (NOTE: this counter is Real-Time and will only activate when there is actual traffic, generated by an app, accessing a website, initiating a download, etc)
- Maximum reached: this stat tracks the maximum speed reached in the current session
- Downloaded: keeps track of the amount of data downloaded in the current session (very useful in case you are on a metered connection)
- Hours Connected: self explanatory, keeps track of the time you've spent connected to the VPN
How to choose a connection from the main server lists
After clicking on the yellow side lap the main window will open and allow you to extend your CyberGhost experience, e. g. to:
- Choose and manage servers: 4 different server lists will allow you to choose from all types of connections available, such as a specific country, a single server, a favorited sever, a streaming-optimized server or even a Torrents-optimized server. Furthermore you can filter out the connection to be used by markers such as distance, user load and ping, and add or remove a server as a favorite.
- Favorites: This list displays all single servers, countries, streaming and torrent connections you previously marked as favorites. [More details]
- All servers: Displays all countries available and, if extended, all single servers available for the resp. extended country entry. [More details]
- For torrenting: If you want to download Torrents or other files you most often need a compatible server, since not all countries for example allow P2P technologies such as Torrents. Also you might want the best performance available. [More details]
- For streaming: In case you want to stream content from a certain country (e. g. to watch home TV when on a trip), you need a server capable of delivering high resolution content as well as being equipped to work with the wanted streaming platform. [More details]
- Connection features: To additionally secure and privatize your web experience CyberGhost offers a couple of 'Extras', such as an anti malware filter, an ad blocker, a data compressor and more. [More details]
- Smart rules: Customize your CyberGhost experience by defining 'Smart Rules', such as 'When I enter an open hotspot, CyberGhost should protect me instantly' ... [More details]
- My account: In case you are curious about your subscription details or need a shortcut to your online account (e. g. to remove devices or to configure native protocols), this is the place to go. [More details]
- Settings: Fine tune your CyberGhost installation and the way it connects you. [More details]
Some background info ...
a) ... on the connection types:
Depending on the connection type valid (as can be seen directly below the power button), a VPN connection will be initiated either ...
- ... completely automatically: If you use the 'Smart Location' option, the country as well as the single server to be used will be chosen by CyberGhost, based on an internal load balancing system, which takes account of performance as well as protection levels.
- ... partly automatically: If you choose a specific country, the single server to be used will be activated automatically by CyberGhost, again based on an internal load balancing system.
- ... completely manually: If you choose a specific country AND a specific server, the automatic load balancing system will be disabled completely.
b) ... on anonymity:
After being successfully connected to a server, CyberGhost displays the country you are surfing from, the name of the server in use and its IP address. This new IP address can not be tracked back to your identity or your real IP address.
But please note that, although you are anonymized, you still need to be careful with your personal data. If you participated on a social network like Facebook, or if you were logged in to your Google account while being anonymized, or exposed your real name and/or email address in a different form, you will most certainly compromise your anonymity.
c) ... on VPN functions
All of the following functions are activated (and not to be deactivated) on each server inside the CyberGhost network:
- Encryption: All VPN connections are secured with 256-bit AES, which can't be intruded from the outside.
- Hidden IP: Your original IP address will be replaced by an IP address from the CyberGhost network, so your identity can't be tracked down. At the same time the very same IP address will be shared with all other users on a respective server, thus extending your anonymity.
- No logs: CyberGhost is committed to its strict NO LOGS policy requiring the minimum anonymous user data to run the service.
- KillSwitch: The automatic Internet KillSwitch blocks all connections as soon as it detects an unexpected connection loss to the CyberGhost network.
- LeakProtection: CyberGhost protects against IPv6, Port Forwarding and DNS leaks.