This guide is designed to help you set up an OpenVPN connection using Viscosity.
Download OpenVPN configuration files
1. Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account and login with your CyberGhost Username and Password.
2. Click on 'My Devices' and in the 'Add a new device' section > click 'Other'.
3. Click 'Configure New Device'. Each server has a configuration file that you will need to create in order to connect to the VPN server. You can download all the configuration files after creating them.
Choose OpenVPN and your preferred Country and Server Group, as described below.
Also, type in a Device name to assign to your device, then configure the parameters for the new device.
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically.
- Server group: Choose the server group and the OpenVPN protocol (UDP or TCP) you want to use:
UDP allows higher speed than the TCP version but can result in broken downloads in some cases. This is the default setting.
TCP allows more stable connections than the UDP version but is a bit slower. Choose this version, if you have recurrent connection issues such as sudden disconnections.
Once the desired parameters are chosen, save them with « Save Configuration »
To view the OpenVPN credentials that are generated for you on the configuration dashboard, press 'View Configuration'.
Once the new page is opened, your connection credentials are generated for you but make note of the following information:
- Server group: This is the address of the country (server) you want to be connected with, e.g. '12345-1-ca.cg-dialup.net'. Note This address changes with every country you have chosen in the step before. The actual single server to be used will be chosen automatically by CyberGhost.
- User name: A solely for this protocol generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name, it's used only to authenticate with our servers via Manual Configurations.
- Password (you need to check the "Show Password" option in order to see it): A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account Password, it's used only to authenticate with our servers via Manual Configurations.
- Pre-Shared Key
Click on 'Download Configuration' (if the automatic download has not started) and download the config file to your Mac. It's recommended that you create a special folder for the config, somewhere accessible like your Desktop, and Extract / Copy the contents of the .zip file there.
Now, the saved config is a ZIP file, which contains the following single files:
- ca.crt: This is the certificate of the certification authority
- client.crt: This is the user certification file
- client.key: This is your private key file
- openvpn.ovpn: This is your OpenVPN configuration file
If you need to change the country you connect to, you must re-configure the location to use in your account management and download the new zipped config file.
Download and Install Viscosity App
1. Download and install Viscosity – http://www.sparklabs.com/viscosity/download/
2. Open the Viscosity.dmg file (usually located in your Downloads folder) by double-clicking it.
3. Drag Viscosity to your Applications folder.
Import VPN Configuration
1. Locate the Viscosity icon in the menu bar. Right-click on it and select 'Preferences'
2. Click the “+” button in the bottom left-hand corner of the window. Select 'Import Connection' then 'From File...' from the menu that appears.
3. Locate and select the OpenVPN configuration folder you created at Step 1. Click on the Open button.
4. Your connection will now appear on the Viscosity menu.
Your first VPN Connection
1. Locate the Viscosity icon in the menu bar. Click on it and select your OpenVPN configuration file.
2. Enter your OpenVPN credentials which consist of :
If you want to save the service credentials for the next login, be sure to check the Keychain checkbox.
NOTE : DO NOT use your regular CyberGhost user name and password, which you use to login to the client and your account management!
3. Click on the Viscosity logo again located in the right corner of your screen. You will see a pop-up window indicating the connection status. It will turn green once the connection is successful.
4. That's it ! You are now successfully connected to the VPN server using the Viscosity app. Your privacy is assured and your data is secure.
If you want to surf from different countries, rename the unzipped OpenVPN configuration file from 'openvpn.ovpn' to e.g. 'CG_RO_NoSpy.ovpn' (or whatever location/server group combination you have chosen while setting up the configuration file in your account management). Choose then a different location and a different server group (if available) and download the next zipped configuration file. Unzip it, rename the containing 'OpenVPN.ovpn' as well und copy it inside the configuration folder. Inside the ZIP file remaining certificate and key files do not need to be copied again, for you already have them from the first download.
For two different countries, you need for example do the following steps:
- Specify device, protocol, and operating system
- Choose a country, e.g. USA
- Download the zipped configuration file with certificates, key, and OpenVPN configuration file
- Unzip the downloaded file and copy all files into the configuration folder
- Rename the OpenVPN configuration file from ‘openvpn.ovpn’ to ‘CG_USA.ovpn’.
- Choose the next country, e.g. Romania
- Download the next zipped configuration file
- Unzip the downloaded file and copy just the file 'openvpn.ovpn' into the configuration folder
- Rename it to ‘CG_RO.ovpn’.
- etc. ...
The sub-folder 'config' now consists of the following files (regarding the example above):
- CG_USA.ovpn (the renamed 'openvpn.ovpn' file from your first download)
- CG_RO.ovpn (the renamed 'openvpn.ovpn' file from your second download)
For any additional information or concerns - it is best to approach the Support Department:
via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
via on-line request: https://support.cyberghostvpn.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
via 24/7 Live! Chat Sessions on our website