Please make sure the following requirements are met:
- Mac OS
- Installed OpenVPN software, either Viscosity or Tunnelblick
- A CyberGhost account
Info: Here's how to create a CyberGhost account online
Info: Here's how to manage your CyberGhost account
- A CyberGhost s subscription
Info: How to purchase or upgrade a subscription
Info for prepaid subscribers: How to enter an activation key
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account.
Click on the menu entry 'My Devices' and then on button 'Add Device'.
In the list of Operating Systems you can CyberGhost use with, please click on 'Other' to be able to setup all necessary options for the OpenVPN protocol. When done the screen extends and gives way to 'Create new credentials'. Do it by clicking on the respective button.
Scroll up the page. As you see, the placeholder for a new device is now replaced by 'Linux, Router, etc.'. Click on that button:
Type a name for your new device and activate the wanted extra features, provided with each regular subscription:
Scroll down and generate the login and configuration data for the OpenVPN protocol:
- Protocol: Choose the OpenVPN protocol you want to use:
OpenVPN (UDP): UDP allows higher speed than the TCP version, but can result in broken downloads in some cases. This is the default setting.
OpenVPN (TCP): TCP allows more stable connections than the UDP version, but is a bit slower. Choose this version, if you have recurrent connection issues such as sudden disconnections.
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically. (If you want or need different PPTP, L2TP or OpenVPN connections in different countries, repeat all steps for every country.)
- Server group: Depending on the chosen country as well as the availability of different server types as an attribute of your current plan you can also define a server group to use:
Standard and Premium Server: This is the group of all paid service servers of the country chosen.
NoSpy Server: This is the group of all exclusive NoSpy servers of the country chosen. These servers can only be accessed by those subscribers, who opt for them as an additional feature.
After setting up your connection wishes please note down the following data sets. You will need them to configure your device:
- Server: This is the address of the country (server) you want to be connected with, e.g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'. Note: This address changes with every country you have chosen in the step before. The actual single server to be used will be chosen automatically by CyberGhost.
- User name: A solely for protocol usage generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name.
- Password: A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account password.
Once done, please download the configuration file. For that please click on 'Download Configuration' and save the file on your computer. It's a ZIP file, which contains the following single configuration files:
- ca.crt: This is the certificate of the certification authority
- client.crt: This is the user certification file
- client.key: This is your private key file
- openvpn.ovpn: This is your OpenVPN configuration file
Extract the content of the downloaded ZIP file and copy the containing single files into a new OpenVPN configuration folder on your desktop.
If you want to surf from different countries, rename the unzipped OpenVPN configuration file from 'openvpn.ovpn' to e.g. 'CG_RO_NoSpy.ovpn' (or whatever location/server group combination you have chosen while setting up the configuration file in your account management). Choose then a different location and a different server group (if available) and download the next zipped configuration file. Unzip it, rename the containing 'OpenVPN.ovpn' as well und copy it inside the configuration folder. The inside the ZIP file remaining certificate and key files do not need to be copied again, for you already have them from the first download.
For two different countries you need for example do the following steps:
- Specify device, protocol and operating system
- Choose a country, e.g. USA
- Download the zipped configuration file with certificates, key and OpenVPN configuration file
- Unzip the downloaded file and copy all files into the configuration folder
- Rename the OpenVPN configuration file from ‘openvpn.ovpn’ to ‘CG_USA.ovpn’.
- Choose the next country, e.g. Romania
- Download the next zipped configuration file
- Unzip the downloaded file and copy just the file 'openvpn.ovpn' into the configuration folder
- Rename it to ‘CG_RO.ovpn’.
- etc. ...
The sub-folder 'config' now consists of the following files (regarding the example above):
- CG_USA.ovpn (the renamed 'openvpn.ovpn' file from your first download)
- CG_RO.ovpn (the renamed 'openvpn.ovpn' file from your second download)
Now download and install 'Viscosity' to establish OpenVPN on your Mac OS X platform and start the application:
Click on its symbol and choose the context menu entry 'Preferences'.
Now click on the 'plus' sign and after that on 'Import Connection > From File'.
Search for the downloaded OpenVPN configuration file and open it. The name of the file is 'openvpn.ovpn' (except you downloaded different configuration files for different locations and renamed the 'openvpn.ovpn').
Now you can connect to CyberGhost:
Enter your credentials which consist of 1) the user name created in step 1, and 2) the password, also created in step 1. DO NOT use your regular CyberGhost user name and password, which you use to login in the client and your account management!
Click 'OK' and you're done!