With CyberGhost VPN, you can connect to over 9000 servers in 90+ countries. Use our simple command-line interface and discover our servers optimized for streaming or P2P.
CyberGhost VPN is compatible with the following Linux operating systems :
Ubuntu 16.04 | 18.04 | 20.04 Mint 20
Fedora 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 CentOS 7 | 8
Note: If you don't have a subscription yet, you can get one now from here.
Important : Before getting started, for better user experience, please make sure that your CyberGhost account password does not contain any of the following special symbols: "$" "⁎" "%" "[ ]"
- Log in with your Premium account at the CyberGhost Account Management page
- Click on 'Download Hub' and choose “Configure” next to “CyberGhost VPN for Linux”
- After choosing “Configure” the following choices must be made > the Server Distribution needs to match the Linux distribution that you are using :
- Click "Download App" - you will be redirected to the "Download Hub" and the Linux CLI configuration file (zipped) will automatically be downloaded to your "Downloads" folder :
*NOTE: For the CLI Linux app, ALL you will need is to have is your CyberGhost Username and Password.
For this tutorial, we'll be using Ubuntu 20.04.3 but the same steps apply to all supported distributions.
1. Unzip the contents of the compressed folder to your computer. Use the "Extract Here" option to obtain the CyberGhost VPN folder configuration :
2. For the purpose of this tutorial, we will rename the extracted folder to "cyberghost". Right-click on the folder's name and select "Rename" :
3. Now, open a Terminal window in the "cyberghost" folder by right-clicking on the folder's name and selecting "Open in Terminal" from the contextual menu :
4. Once in the "cyberghost" folder through your Terminal, type in "sudo bash install.sh" (no quotes) > press Enter and confirm your sudo access by writing the sudo password.
Make sure you choose "Y" (yes) if asked to install any additional packages, like Python 3 and OpenVPN.
5. During the installation, you will be asked:
- Enter CyberGhost username and press [ENTER]: Here you must enter your CyberGhost username (the one which is also used to access your web-account)
- Enter CyberGhost password and press [ENTER]: Here you must enter your CyberGhost password (the one which is also used to access your web-account)
Once you see the message "Install completed ...", you're ready to start using the CLI based app.
Simply type in 'sudo cyberghostvpn' and press Enter to see the list of available commands.
Now, to learn how to quickly connect to the VPN, please see the following articles :
- How to select a country or single server with CyberGhost on Linux
- How to Stream with CyberGhost on Linux
- How to Torrent with CyberGhost on Linux
Article is closed for comments.