With CyberGhost VPN, you can connect to 6600 servers in 90+ countries. Use our simple command-line interface and discover our servers optimized for streaming or torrenting.
CyberGhost VPN is compatible with the following Linux operating systems :
Ubuntu 16.04 | 18.04 | 20.04 Mint 20
Fedora 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 CentOS 7 | 8
Note: If you don't have a subscription yet, you can get one now from here.
Important : Before getting started, for better user experience, please make sure that your CyberGhost account password does not contain any of the following special symbols: "$" "⁎" "%" "[ ]"
- Log in with your Premium account at the CyberGhost Account Management page
- Click on 'My Devices', “Desktop” and choose “Configure New Device” next to “CyberGhost VPN for Linux”.
3. After choosing “Configure New Device” the following choices needs to be made:
- The Server Distribution (this must be the same with your current Linux version);
4. Click Download Linux App.
*NOTE: For the CLI Linux app, ALL you will need is to have is your CyberGhost Username and Password.
For this tutorial, we'll be using Ubuntu 18.04 but the same steps apply to all supported distributions.
- Unzip the contents of the compressed folder to your computer (For the purpose of this tutorial, we will extract and rename the folder to cyberghost on the Desktop)
NOTE: You can use the Extract Here option, then select the extracted folder and press F2 to rename it to a simpler name, like cyberghost.
2. Open a Terminal window and change the directory to the CyberGhost folder to install the CLI app.
If Terminal isn’t visible on the Launch bar, click on the ‘Show Applications’ button (in the bottom-left part of the screen) > then type in 'Terminal' in the search field:
3. In the terminal window for this example, the commands are "cd Desktop/cyberghost" (without the quotes) > press Enter
NOTE: Terminal takes into account case-sensitive characters so make sure you type in each folder name exactly as is (with capital letters where the case applies)
4. Once in the CyberGhost folder, type in "sudo bash install.sh" (no quotes) > press Enter and confirm your sudo access by writing the sudo password.
Make sure you choose "Y" (yes) if asked to install Python 3 and OpenVPN.
5. During the installation, you will be asked:
Enter CyberGhost username and press [ENTER]:
Enter CyberGhost password and press [ENTER]:
Once you see the message "Install completed ...", you're ready to start using the CLI based app.
Simply type in 'cyberghostvpn' and press Enter to see the list of available commands.
Now, to learn how to quickly connect to the VPN, please see the following articles :
- How to select a country or single server with CyberGhost on Linux
- How to Stream with CyberGhost on Linux
- How to Torrent with CyberGhost on Linux