CyberGhost offers a command-based Linux app which establishes a VPN connection via the OpenVPN protocol and allows a high-degree of customization in terms of how you connect, as well as facilitating the use of our Streaming and Torrent-optimized servers.
Supported Linux Distributions:
Ubuntu 16 (all iterations)
Ubuntu 18 (all iterations)
Fedora 29 and Fedora 30
All you'll need is to add a new Linux Device in your CyberGhost account (on our website), then simply download and install the CLI app and doing this, you'll be all set to connect to the VPN (including the use of specialized Torrent and Streaming solutions).
- Login with your Premium account at the CyberGhost Account Management page
- Click on 'My Devices', “Desktop” and choose “Configure New Device” next to “CyberGhost VPN for Linux”.
3. After choosing “Configure New Device” the following choices needs to be made:
- The Server Distribution (this must be the same with your current Linux version);
4. Click Download Linux App.
*NOTE: For the CLI Linux app, ALL you will need is to have is your CyberGhost Username and Password.
For this tutorial, we'll be using Ubuntu 18.04 but the same steps apply to all supported distributions.
- Unzip the contents of the compressed folder to your computer (For the purpose of this tutorial, we will extract and rename the folder to cyberghost on the Desktop)
NOTE: You can use the Extract Here option, then select the extracted folder and press F2 to rename it to a simpler name, like cyberghost.
2. Open a Terminal window and change the directory to the CyberGhost folder to install the CLI app.
If Terminal isn’t visible on the Launch bar, click on the ‘Show Applications’ button (in the bottom-left part of the screen) > then type in 'Terminal' in the search field:
3. In the terminal window for this this example, the commands is "cd Desktop/cyberghost" (without the quotes) > press Enter
NOTE: Terminal takes into account case-sensitive characters so make sure you type in each folder name exactly as is (with capital letters where the case applies)
4. Once in the CyberGhost folder, type in "sudo bash install.sh" (no quotes) > press Enter and confirm your sudo access by writing the sudo password.
Make sure you choose "Y" (yes) if asked to install Python 3 and OpenVPN.
5. During the installation, you will be asked:
Enter CyberGhost username and press [ENTER]:
Enter CyberGhost password and press [ENTER]:
Once you see the message "Install completed ...", you're ready to start using the CLI based app.
Simply type in 'cyberghostvpn' and press Enter to see the list of available commands.
Now, to learn how to quickly connect to the VPN, please see the following articles: