CyberGhost can be used on routers with TomatoUSB Merlin Build firmware and integrated OpenVPN support, if the following preconditions are met:
Important note: Please make sure that you run an IPv4 Internet connection. Some Internet Service Providers already connect with the IPv6 protocol, which is not supported by CyberGhost. While the CyberGhost client takes care of deactivating IPv6 under Windows, users of native protocols have to do this manually. If IPv6 is not deactivated, data might leak outside the IPv4 VPN tunnel!
Visit your CyberGhost VPN online account.
Click on the menu entry 'My Devices' and then on button 'Add Device'.
In the list of Operating Systems you can CyberGhost use with, please click on 'Other' to be able to setup all necessary options for the OpenVPN protocol. When done the screen extends and gives way to 'Create new credentials'. Do it by clicking on the respective button.
Scroll up the page. As you see, the placeholder for a new device is now replaced by 'Linux, Router, etc.'. Click on that button:
Type a name for your new device and activate the wanted extra features, provided with each Premium subscription:
Scroll down and generate the login and configuration data for the OpenVPN protocol:
- Protocol: Choose the OpenVPN protocol you want to use:
- OpenVPN (UDP): UDP allows higher speed than the TCP version, but can result in broken downloads in some cases. This is the default setting.
- OpenVPN (TCP): TCP allows more stable connections than the UDP version, but is a bit slower. Choose this version, if you have recurrent connection issues such as sudden disconnections.
- Country: Since native protocol connections may only be used with exactly one server you now have to choose the country you want to surf from; the server to be used in this country will be chosen by CyberGhost automatically. (If you want or need different PPTP, L2TP or OpenVPN connections in different countries, repeat all steps for every country.)
- Server group: Depending on the chosen country as well as the availability of different server types as an attribute of your current plan you can also define a server group to use:
- Standard Server: This is the group of all paid service servers (Special Edition, Premium, Premium Plus)
- Premium Server: This is the smaller group of all exclusive servers for Premium subscribers (Premium, Premium Plus)
- NoSpy Server: This is the group of all exclusive NoSpy servers for Premium subscribers with special extensions.
After setting up your connection wishes please note down the following data sets. You will need them to configure your device:
- Server: This is the address of the country (server) you want to be connected with, e.g. '1-ro.cg-dialup.net'. Note: This address changes with every country you have chosen in the step before. The actual single server to be used will be chosen automatically by CyberGhost.
- User name: A solely for protocol usage generated user name. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account user name.
- Password: A solely for protocol usage generated password. This is NOT your regular CyberGhost account password.
Once done, please download the configuration file. For that please click on 'Download Configuration' and save the file on your computer. It's a ZIP file, which contains the following single configuration files:
- ca.crt: This is the certificate of the certification authority
- client.crt: This is the user certification file
- client.key: This is your private key file
- openvpn.ovpn: This is your OpenVPN configuration file
Unzip the file and save all single configuration files on your computer.
Note: If you need to change the country to surf from, you must re-configure the location to use in your account management and download the new config file.
Open your TomatoUSB (Merlin Build) router’s configuration page and click on the left side in the area ‚Advanced Settings‘ on ‚VPN Server‘ and after that in the upper menu on ‚OpenVPN Client Settings‘
Activate under ‚Select client Instance‘ the entry ‚Client 1‘, check the following options and change those which show different:
- Start with WAN: No
- Interface Type: TUN
- Protocol: UDP or TCP (depending on what type you decided to use in step 1)
- Server Address and Port: Address: 4-ro.cg-dialup.net / Port: 443. Depending on the country to connect with, the second block of each address will be exchanged, e.g. instead '4-de.cg-dialup.net‘ (for Germany with Standard Server Group) '4-ro.cg-dialup.net‘ (for Romania with Standard Server Group). When configuring location and server group, the complete and proper address will be generated automatically for you. It includes encrypted information about your plan, the country, the server group chosen and the domain name; the protocol to be used will be detected automatically when connecting to CyberGhost.
- Firewall: Automatic
- Authorization Mode: TLS
- Username/Password Authentication: Yes
- Username: The user name created in step 1. DO NOT user your regular user name!
- Password: The password created in step 1. DO NOT user your regular password!
- Username Authentication only: No
- Extra HMAC authorization: Disabled
- Create NAT on tunnel: Yes
After activating the tab ‚Advanced Settings‘ please check the following options:
- Poll Interval: 0 (means deactivated)
- Redirect Internet traffic: Yes
- Accept DNS configuration: Relaxed
- Encryption cypher: AES-256-CBC
- Compression: Enabled
- TLS Renegotiation Time: -1
- Connection retry: 30
- Verify server certificate: No
- Custom Configuration: Here you mark all lines, delete the content and exchange it with the text content of your downloaded 'openvpn.ovpn' configuration file. For that you open the file with an editor, mark the text with 'Control-A', copy the text with 'Control-C' and insert the text here with 'Control-V'. This is a sample for the content of an 'openvpn.ovpn' file:
explicit-exit-notify 2 [Note: Some routers don't understand this command. In cases of doubt or if the configuration doesn't work, please remove this entry.]
|Please don’t copy this example for a server configuration might change after publishing this article.|
Now switch to the tab ‚OpenVPNKeys‘. There you find four fields, whereas three of them have to be filled with the corresponding content of the other three files you downloaded from your CyberGhost account management. For that you also open the respective file with a simple editor and copy the respective text passages:
- Certificate Authority: Copy all text of the file 'ca.crt' in here.
- Client Certificate: Copy all text of the file 'client.crt' in here.
- Client Key: Copy all text of the file 'client.key' in here.
At last click on ‚Apply‘ to save your configuration.