There are a number of factors that may be responsible for why a VPN connection could not be established. This topic covers various troubleshooting steps to help resolve connectivity issues.
After each step, check if the issue still remains.
What to try first
- Reset your Wi-Fi network settings (only if using Wi-Fi):
All your Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, will be removed and default Wi-Fi settings restored. This includes VPNs and APN you've set up.
1. In your Settings app, tap “General.”
2. On the General settings page, tap “Reset.”
3. On the Reset page, tap “Reset Network Settings”
4. If you have a passcode set up, you’ll be asked to enter it.
5. And when asked to confirm your action, tap “Reset Network Settings.”
6. Also, launch the Settings app from the Home screen and navigate to Wi-Fi. On the right side of your wireless network field, tap on the 'i' button to view the settings for the network.
7. Tap "Renew Lease" at the bottom of the settings pane to reset your device’s IP address and to refresh your connection. Reboot the device after that.
- Try different locations.
Due to a series of factors, one location may offer a more stable connection than others.
- Restart your device.
Sometimes restarting your device will do the trick.
- Try switching the protocol to WireGuard®:
1. Start your Cyberghost App and tap on settings;
2. Tap the VPN section;
3. Tap on Protocol and choose WireGuard®;
- Alternate between Wi-Fi and mobile data :
Switch to mobile data if you are using Wi-Fi.
Switch to a Wi-Fi network if you are using mobile data.
- Disable Low Power Mode
Go to Settings > Battery and check if the Low Power mode is turned on.
- Turn ON and OFF Airplane Mode (if you are on a cellular network, place your phone in airplane mode, wait 30 seconds, then disable airplane mode)
Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to bring up Control Center. Tap the Airplane Mode button
- Disable Low Data Mode
On your iPhone or iPad launch Settings and go to Wi-Fi settings. Once you are on the Wi-Fi page tap on the ‘i’ button next to your connected network’s name. On the next screen turn off the toggle for Low Data Mode.
Launch Settings and go to Mobile Data. Once you are on the Mobile Data screen tap on Mobile Data Options. Turn off Low Data Mode.
Remove potential safety Security or Parental controls from your router.
Some ISPs usually equipped their routers with parental/security controls enabled by default. Log in to your router, look for the "Security" tab and see if any security features or parental controls are turned on.
- Reboot your router/modem.
1. Unplug power cables from modem and router*
2. Wait 30 seconds, plug modem in
3. Wait 30 seconds, plug router in
4. Wait 30 seconds, the network is now refreshed.
*If you have a router/modem combo, just unplug that device.
For any additional information or concerns - it is best to approach the Support Department:
via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
via on-line request: https://support.cyberghostvpn.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
via 24/7 Live! Chat Sessions on our website