Start the CyberGhost VPN client by tapping on its icon. The app will open with the main screen, stating you are not connected to the VPN network yet.
To make sure, everything is working as it should, or if you are not sure, your Internet connection works properly, please use the CyberGhost Connection Checker, a tool that analyzes connection issues. You find it via 'Settings > VPN'.
To activate your VPN tap on the 'Power' button (while the connection mode is in 'Best Location').
Alternatively choose a country by tapping on the 'Best Location' area, which opens a country list.
Go for any country, return to the main screen and fire up your connection now. It will be established immediately.
If you choose 'Best Location' as your connection mode, CyberGhost automatically connects to the best suited server, which provides the best performance in accordance with your current location (meaning the server with the most optimal settings in terms of speed and user load).
If you choose a specific country, CyberGhost automatically connects to the best suited server in this country. Only if you also specify a specific server in a country the automatic load balancing system will be deactivated completely and you get connected directly to a server. Please consult this article on how to choose a single server manually.
Note: To quickly return from a selected country (or single server) to the 'Best Location' as the default connection type, press the "X" on the right side of the country or single server.
Some background info ...
... on the connection types:
Depending on the connection type valid (as can be seen directly below the power button), a VPN connection will be initiated either ...
- ... completely automatically: If you use the 'Best Location' option, the country as well as the single server to be used will be chosen by CyberGhost, based on an internal load balancing system, which takes account of performance as well as protection levels.
- ... partly automatically: If you choose a specific country or, the server from that location will be selected automatically by CyberGhost, again based on an internal load balancing system.
... on anonymity:
After being successfully connected to a server, CyberGhost displays the country you are surfing from, the name of the server in use, and its IP address. This new IP address can not be tracked back to your identity or your real IP address.
Note that, although you are anonymized, you still need to be careful with your personal data. If you participated on a social network like Facebook, or if you were logged in to your Google account while being anonymized, or exposed your real name and/or email address in a different form, you will most certainly compromise your anonymity.
... on VPN functions
All of the following functions are activated by default without the possibility to turn them off on each server inside the CyberGhost network:
- Encryption: All VPN connections are secured with 256-bit AES, which can't be intruded from the outside.
- Hidden IP: Your original IP address will be replaced by an IP address from the CyberGhost network, so your identity can't be tracked down. At the same time, the very same IP address will be shared with all other users on a respective server, thus extending your anonymity.
- No logs: CyberGhost is committed to its strict NO LOGS policy requiring the minimum anonymous user data to run the service.
- KillSwitch: The automatic Internet KillSwitch blocks all connections as soon as it detects an unexpected connection loss to the CyberGhost network.
- LeakProtection: CyberGhost protects against IPv6, Port Forwarding, and DNS leaks.
For any additional information or concerns - it is best to approach the Support Department:
via e-mail: email@example.com
via on-line request: https://support.cyberghostvpn.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
via 24/7 Live! Chat Sessions on our website